Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dynasty 300 Series vs Syncrowave 350LX
- - By wld (*) Date 10-15-2002 23:00
Hello out there in welding world,
i'm a welder in a job shop that fabs,fixes and welds everything under the sun, from oilfield to petrochemicle piping down too skids and angle frames.
we also weld to many exotics to mention on a day to day bases, and today my boss tells me i can start shoping for a new machine:-)
saying all that to come down to what would be the best machine for the job. i did some alum. welding with the dynasty at a miller weld lab some time back and loved the way i could adjust the weld, but that was the only type of welding i did with it.
then while my machine was in the shop after that and we rented one like the Syncrowave 350 and it welds better than my old machine does, but you can't adjust your weld bead on alum.
could somebody kindly give me some thoughts about these machines,what the pros and cons are for each .thanks
wld
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 11-09-2002 02:14
The Dynasty is better in every way. Even though the Dynasty has 300amps and the syncro 351 has 400 the dynasty would beat the 400amp syncro hands down when it comes to penatration because of its ability to focuss the arc and put more heat into the base material. With a syncro you can not adjust the freq. which is what lets the dynasty focuss its arc. The Dynasty uses way less power, lets you use pointed tungstens for alum welding, and its also much smaller. CHUB380
Parent - By fluxcore (*) Date 06-19-2006 01:22
I have a syncrowave 350lx with pulse and sequence controls. I believe it almost as close to a dynasty 300 except only 60 hertz. my only problem is 60 amps. at 220 volts. Can't waiting to connect it.   good luck shopping for a welder. Jim
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-19-2006 16:56
Both are great machines

Synchrowave is tougher and has a longer track record in harsh environments.

Dynasty with an optional  coolmate water cooler (pretty much required for GTAW of alum) is about the same footprint as Synchrowave with its internal cooler. Not much weight or space savings if you really look at the big picture. Plus I think the Synchrowave with it's internal cooler and Din's connectors is a bit more streamlined overall which means fewer cable tangles etc on the shop floor.

Synchrowaves have been making X-ray quality welds in aluminum since the mid 1980s. They do just fine unless job requirements dictate an especially small alum fillet.

Actually Dynasty gains its penetration advantage at lower AC frequencies (20-40 Hz.) on heavy materials at higher amperages. This advantage is small and usually comes when a pre-heat is beginning to fade or the material thickness is right at the edge of weldability with GTAW.

Dynasty's advantage in arc column shaping and directional control tends more toward thin aluminum fillets (>0.060) at frequencies from 150 to about 220 Hz.

Both Dynasty and Synchrowave are pretty darned good SMAW power supplies too, with arc-force/Slope adjustments over the full range, this is a real advantage over Lincoln Percision Tig and it's single *internal* switch that requires pannel removal.

Unless your doing some custom work that requires very specific fillet sizes I think you would be happy with either machine.  If your budget is robust, the Dynasty can do more things... But it costs a lot more too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dynasty 300 Series vs Syncrowave 350LX