Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Base Metal qualified in ASME IX 2010 Welder Qualification
- - By allenliao (*) Date 02-27-2011 09:37
Dear sirs,

As you know: P-No. is an essential variable during welder qualification testing. Below is the text and table from ASME IX 2010.

QW-403.18: A change from one P-Number to any other P-Number or to a base metal not listed in table QW/QB-422, except as permitted in QW-423, and in QW-420.

QW-423.1 Base metal used for welder qualification may be substituted for the metal specified in the WPS in accordance with the following table. When a base metal shown in the left column is used for welder qualification, the welder is qualified to weld all combinations of base metals shown in the right column, including unassigned metals of similar chemical composition to these metals.

Base Metals for Welder                    Qualified Production
   Qualification                                      Base Metals

P-No. 1 through P-No. 15F,           P-No. 1 through P-No. 15F,
P-No. 34, and P-No. 41                 P-No. 34, and P-No. 41
through P-No. 49                        through P-No. 49

P-No. 21 through P-No. 26            P-No. 21 through P-No. 26

P-No. 51 through P-No. 53 or        P-No. 51 through P-No. 53 and
P-No. 61 and P-No. 62                 P-No. 61 and P-No. 62

"....When a base metal shown in the left column is used for welder qualification, the welder is qualified to weld all combinations of base metals shown in the right column...", this sentence puzzles me. Can someone tell me how to understand QW-423.1?
Thanks!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-27-2011 13:44
If you were to perform a qualification test using a P-No. 1 test coupon, then you would look in the left column to find the row that contains P-No. 1.  Then read the same row in the right column to see what other base metals the welder is qualified to weld.  In this case a welder qualified with P-No. 1 is qualified to weld P-No. 1 through P-No. 15F, P-No. 34, and P-No. 41 through P-No. 49 base metals.  However, F-No. is also an essential variable, so if the test was welded with an F-No. 4 electrode the welder would only be qualified to weld those P-Nos. that can be welded using an F-No. 4 electrode.
Parent - By allenliao (*) Date 02-28-2011 03:02
Thank you!

Yes, F-No. is an essential variable for WPQ, it is a reminder for me that F-No. will limit the base metal qualified for welders indirectly. Right?
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 02-27-2011 16:47
When I was confronted with this question my mentor recommended that I think of it as a chart and in my copy sect IX he drew lines for better clarity.

Base Metals for Welder                    Qualified Production
   Qualification                                      Base Metals
P-No. 61 and P-No. 62                 P-No. 61 and P-No. 62

Regards Donnie Mann
Parent - By allenliao (*) Date 02-28-2011 03:03
Yes, Good idea!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Base Metal qualified in ASME IX 2010 Welder Qualification