Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what am i doing wrong!
- - By sillyslik (**) Date 03-01-2011 03:47 Edited 03-01-2011 04:02
so i  am fresh out of school! when i get the chance to even weld test.  i show up "dressed the part" not a desk job mind it! i got all my stuff! and i been thru these types of test no.1 a tig outside corner 2 X fer 12" and a high freq. alum. root and cover and high freq. fillet! wich i blew shaking severely! next weld test was a tig mild steel thread o let in 8 " pipe and was a poor fit. and mind u i am green! so i free handed the root and becuz i freed the root i  went on in that order! and i feel where i fudged up was on the last 1/4 of the cap i decided to show i could walk the cup and left under cut!this was followed by my mig test wich i started out lovely and decided 5/16 was much better looking fillet than the 1/4 inch they were looking for!!lol! wtf! brain fart! then i had to mig what appeared to be the head of a hydraulic cylinder wich turned out well from my point of veiw! the guy before me washed out bad he had alot of cold lapping!just not sure how to run with this , no one has to consult with u if u don get hired!( which i strongly disagree with, because u shoot ur self in the foot later)I'll beat me up harder than u think!
Parent - - By sillyslik (**) Date 03-01-2011 03:52
i know the job market is full of experience! but if i come to u and show you and tell u i am green but i show potential dont i warrent a thought even?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-01-2011 04:06
If you fill out the job application with the typical spelling and capitalization errors shown in these two posts, I can see why you can't get your foot in the door.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 03-01-2011 04:31
Ouch!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-01-2011 12:16 Edited 03-01-2011 12:23
If I am evaluating you against welders who are better qualified than you are and pass the welding test, the answer is "NO". An employer does not have a duty to teach or even train you unless you are going for a entry level position.
And you wrote (?) "this was followed by my mig test wich i started out lovely and decided 5/16 was much better looking fillet than the 1/4 inch they were looking for!!lol! wtf! brain fart!"
This here is enough to bust you. You knew the requirement was a 1/4 but you thought a 5/16 looked better. Have you thought there just may be a reason they wanted a 1/4 instead of the 5/16 you thought looked better?
Perhaps you should consider a helper position instead of a welder position?
And while the text message format of communication may pass with your peers, you should consider a technical writing class. I agree, if you filled out a application or a resume and it looked like this post, you would have never gotten the test!
Also, did you send the person who interviewed you and tested you a thank you letter?
Or did you go out the door kicking and cussing about how the stupid bastages have messed the opportunity of have one of the best welders that will ever exist.
From what I painfully read in your post you busted three test! That day was not your day, hand. Pure and simple.
You can pi$$ and whine, or you can put on your big boy briefs and figure out how to stay in the game. You have obviously invested time in learning.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-01-2011 15:20
Not trying to bust your chops, but.....

Here is an example of what Big K is speaking of when you took it on your own to increase a fillet weld size from 1/4" to 5/16" just because you thought it looked better. Think about the employer for just a minute, they estimate that it will take "X" number of hours to fabricate and weld out a part, then you come along and increase the fillet weld size from 1/4" up to 5/16" because you think it looks better, butin fact you have just blown their estimate by 56%. This extra time and material comes right out of the profit and they won't be able to afford to give any raise increases if you keep that up. I doubt there are many welding shops putting anywhere near 56% profit on their work in this day and age, so how can they afford to keep you as an employee if you are costing them everytime you pick up the welder and start welding?

Check out this chart to see what I'm talking about....hopefully you will take this as a constructive comment and learn something else to take with you on your road to becoming a great weldor.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-01-2011 16:01
Hello sillyslik, I am one of those pesky welding instructors trying to impart wisdom and worldly experiences upon the masses of "new to the welding world" newbies. I see folks all the time who are interested in the instant gratification methods that will supposedly put them miles ahead of where they really are when they leave a school or training facility. Patience is truly a virtue and listening, paying attention, sometimes asking questions at strategically placed times, and above all: realizing how much you really don't know about this fine trade and it's many different facets. I have had conversations with plenty of individuals who are wholly capable of being fantastic welders and fitters, I strive to have them see that they are a commodity to perspective businesses and as a commodity they should become a complete package. As that package they need to be able to present themselves in a confident and humble manner. Show up for the interview in the correct attire and ready for whatever the employer may throw at you. If they are going to test you on the spot be prepared by having the correct equipment and attitude. Look them in the eye and answer questions with confidence and conviction. Ask questions; you need to be proactive in how you go about making your job application. Even if you have been taught particular ways of making welds, fitting things up and other methods and techniques, you will need to be flexible enough to accomodate their expectations/requirements. If you have been told and have generally practiced a drag type progression for making welds, ask the question; how would you like me to do this? drag/pull, and then do as they ask of you. You are the one who is trying to be hired, companies typically go through learning and unlearning processes with their newhires and employees and have a particular way that they are comfortable with when it comes to how they operate. You will always have time to fit in and have input with regard to shop practice once you have earned credibility. Just a few things for your consideration, there are plenty of others that will come with your future interactions. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-01-2011 18:06
Mike,

Along the lines of Joe Kane's reply, you are of an age when you are expected to present yourself professionally.  This means proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation when writing.  It also means your demeanor.  Astute hiring managers can see in the way you carry yourself just what kind of employee you're going to be.  When you react a certain way after busting a weld test it just tells that manager what to expect when you make a mistake on the job.  There's a lot more to getting a welding job these days than just laying pretty beads.  You need to work it to your advantage, have more knowledge and skill than the next guy, be willing to show that you're humble and ready to learn new things, and be respectful of the manager's time.  Ask questions.  Take notes for the next time you have an interview.  Finally, ask if the manager might consider hiring you on as a helper to gain experience.  It beats going from interview to interview, busting tests and making a bad name for yourself; and you'll get experience instead of sitting on the U/E rolls.

Good luck, and I really hope you took the time to read Alan's (aevald) and DbK's posts above.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 03-06-2011 04:20
You are lucky they gave you the second test after busting the first one.
- By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-01-2011 04:36
QUOTE: "no one has to consult with u if u don get hired!( which i strongly disagree with, because u shoot ur self in the foot later)I'll beat me up harder than u think!"

Huh? what am I missing? Are you stating that if you don't get hired for a particular position you feel that they owe it to you to have a explanation as for why you didn't get on? I'm not trying to be a prick in any way, I'm just asking...it wasn't clear to me.

Caleb
- - By sillyslik (**) Date 03-02-2011 02:02 Edited 03-02-2011 02:04
well, I am  thankful for all the replies. This was insightful, and a focus. I am  no typist or grammar expert(red neck) very possible. when I am in a business atmosphere. I am business all the way! no showing up late and thank you letters, ask questions take notes! I was being humorous with the fillet weld, I knew that killed it for me, but thanks all for your insight.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-02-2011 22:41
Hold on there.  Being a "red neck" is not an excuse.  There are lots of RED NECKS on this forum.  It is not an adjective describing one of low education or geographic origination.  It describes an attitude, character, appearance, and overall ethic.

If you received even a Junior High School education you should be able to write, spell, and use punctuation better than that.  You want to make a good first impression to get someone's attention?  Start there.

Then, find a job starting at the bottom.  Especially in this economy you need to pick up some experience to go with your education and show them how sincere you are about this trade.  Find time to keep taking tests.  But find a job.  Find time to keep practicing.  But find a job.  Find time to learn more. But find a job. 

Most of all, lose the attitude.  Your posts smack of a 'woe is me', 'everyone is out to get me' attitude. 

We don't mind hearing when someone is down.  We don't mind giving advice on how to do better.  But you need to start by having a learning spirit.  Be teachable.  You may be.  Depends upon how you deal with your current situation and the responses you have gotten here.  Time will tell.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-03-2011 08:04
Very well put Brent.

As most of us have been in your shoes and learned from our mistakes.  Either you love it or leave it. Not much room for learning in the high end of it which is what they promise in those brouchers. Keep trying... A failed weld test is not a bad thing. Its a learning process.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-03-2011 22:40
Mike, I have hired hundreds of people of all walks of life. I look for certain things in each step of the hiring process. A huge feather in anyone’s cap is a great resume. Experience and documented work history will always be at the top of the list but we all started somewhere. You will find someone that will give you a chance if you are determined and willing to try or do what it takes to get your foot in the door. I hired a young man last year with ZERO mechanical background because he wrote his own resume, the first one he ever did and it looked great. He was completely honest in the interview and gave great examples of how he learned new tasks. He was articulate and asked questions. He impressed me and has been doing great in his new position. He went from his first job bagging groceries at the local supermarket one week to working as a crusher repairman ( i.e. apprentice) the next. He has excelled and will become one of the best one day I have no doubt. So get to know people that do what you want to become. Learn all you can and be a sponge not a pest. Be willing to help just for the knowledge and practice all you can. Pay attention to detail and follow directions to the letter. None of us know it all but those of us who never stop learning are the cream that rises to the top. This place is one of the very best resources you can find for learning about anything welding related and last of all good luck to you because that never hurts either.
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 03-04-2011 05:41
my boss told me that he will have prospects set in his office for a few minuets before he starts the interview if they even touch there cell phone they will not be hired and that is something that he is looking for.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-04-2011 08:42
This maybe important for a man such as silly silk but as a profesional I can assure if thats his way of judgeing his employers I wouldn't be infront of his desk. For one that I predict that the pay is low and from my expeirence the lower the pay the more they want you to do and the less they repsect you. Hence the stupid cell phone thing. I am a grown ass man and I do grown ass man shet... Did my time in a hole in the wall shop as yours that you work in. Give you just an idea of what stupid is as stupid does. When I was working on my two degrees in college and working nights welding at a fab shop those dumb arses used to tell me and rag on me for going to college. (I made 8.35 hr welding in that shop ten years ago) Those guys used to tell me that I was wasting my time and I would be a for lifer there. Well guess what those dumb $#@%% still work there and I own a business. Hey griz either open your eyes or dont get caught with a cell phone. I mean whats a job that qualifies you to a cell phone. Never heard of that WPS.
Parent - By grizzzly (**) Date 03-05-2011 06:26
its simple

it is a respect thing.

if you cant respect me, my people, or my process i have no place for you

its that simple.

and as for the attitude in the statement
"I am a grown ass man and I do grown ass man shet..."
and you are telling me to open my eyes LMFAO!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2011 12:39
Grizzzly,
I think it comes down to a matter of respect. When you walk into a boss' office looking for a job you should, at a minimum, give the boss a little respect and turn the phone off for the few minutes that you are is sitting there taking up the boss' time.

If you really want a job, you should not be in the middle of the interview and take a phone call and waste this boss' time having him sit there listening to you blab on the phone...his time is important, respect that.

I've been to seminars where people sitting listening to the speaker suddenly get a call and sit there squawking out loud....that is just plain rude and disrespectful of the others around them and to the speaker who has to maintain their line of thought while speaking.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2011 15:04 Edited 03-04-2011 15:15
AMEN John!!!

One of the biggest things we have lost today is respect for others and their time.  And that is what it comes down to.  RESPECT for OTHERS.

When you come into my office and I drop what I am doing in the shop to talk to you, I have showed that your job is important to me.  Then, in the middle of the conversation your phone rings and you interrupt our conversation to take a 5min (or longer) phone call.  So, your job and my time are not REALLY IMPORTANT TO YOU.  I go back out in the shop and go to work.  When my wife comes and gets me AGAIN, I come back and start the conversation with...' If that phone rings again you can leave and NEVER come back.  My time is important and I have other peoples' work to get done because it is important to them and thus me.'  I don't have all day to stand around getting part of a job description in little bits and pieces because you can't leave your phone alone for a few minutes.  WHAT DID YOU DO BEFORE CELL PHONES??!!

Employees,  NO WAY!!  No phones in the shop.  You can check for messages at break and at lunch.  When you punch in in the morning you have said, 'I'm going to give you your money's worth and work for 8 hours for my 8 hours of pay.'  Not talk on your phone for half the day.  I will not be interrupted in my own shop by your cell phone because your wife wants you to get milk on the way home.  I will not have you trying to work with your head caulked sideways holding a phone and trying to concentrate on what is being said so you can't do layout or weld because of the distraction.  NOT SAFE.  NOT PRODUCTIVE.  NOT RESPECTFUL.

There is NOTHING important enough to call the employee's cell phone for.  That's RIGHT.  They can call the office if it is a true emergency.  My wife gets messages to us ASAP.  And other places I worked as an employee were the same.  I never saw an employer not relay an IMPORTANT message.  Even when I worked field construction for CBI and had a son born in OR while I was welding in CA.  (Few of us had cell phones back then).  And there is little you can do about an emergency when you are at work anyway.  Sure, ASAP you can leave and go to where ever you are needed because family is VERY IMPORTANT.  People are more important than work and MONEY.  Even to me as an employer.  But you do not use a cell phone in my shop on my time- PERIOD!!  AND IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE!!  AS WELL AS A RESPECT ISSUE!!

As a business owner, welder, inspector,  I tell all customers not to expect an answer when they call my cell phone.  If I am with a customer in the shop or field I will not answer.  I am on that customers' dime and his job is important to me.  When I am working, especially in the field where it is harder to keep track of my time, I don't answer.  Again, I am on someone else's time/dime.  When I am driving, I won't answer.  Often not even if wearing my bluetooth.  Too hard for me to concentrate on traffic, shifting, directions, etc when talking on the phone.  I can't tell how many times I have thought, 'what color was that light I just came through?'.  The customer I am with is the one who has my attention and I WILL RESPECT his time and money. 

Customers are always told that they need to call the office.  That will get the fastest response from me.  Sometimes it takes a while before I can check messages.  But my wife knows how to get to my son or other employees to get the needed information or set up an appointment.  Everyone always wants to talk to the boss.  They don't always get to.  I use my other resources and my wife is very good at her job.  Some customers are way too demanding of the boss's time.  They will call many times aday.  I don't respond to every single call.  Not wise use of my time.

Likewise, if you have an appointment for an interview for a job, I am not going to interrupt it with every single phone call that comes in.  I will respect your time.  There are calls that I have to take, but they usually get told...' He's not available right now.  Can I take a message?'  That is how I work.

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Don't just turn it off for an interview.  Leave it outside.  That shows you are respecting and honoring the time they are investing in your interview and shows them the type of character and attitude you have toward your work environment.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-05-2011 12:13
I could never imagine a interview where the prospective employee would stop the interview to take a phone call or a text. If they did, the interview would be over.
I cannot remember how many prospective vendors I have set up a appointment with or as happened this week was in them middle of reviewing documents on a job walk when their phone rings. I turn mine off in this situation and on the job walk tell everyone to turn theirs off.
The phone rings and of course it is a important call and they excuse themselves and take the call. They do not ask if I mind, they just answer and say excuse me and walk off.
I bet they wonder why they do not get a follow up call or get considered on the bid. I have had people do a five minute conversation setting up an appointment with another coustomer in front of me. As a vendor, I have never been in the position where you are the only game in town.
Yessir, a grown a$$ man can do what they want, but remember I am one too. If you are working for me, we are having a conversation the phone rings, and you answer it  I better be told either someone died or a family member has just been rushed to a hospital.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-06-2011 02:09
I know what you mean by using what I call "common sense"and no I wouldn't necessarily take a phone call in the middle of an interview or a walk down in the middle of a bid package overview. But  if this employer  wasn't in the same room as  me and I was waiting there I might check the time on my phone. I guess I like to make my own rules which is why I own a business. Maybe I misinterpeted Grizzlys post but. The way I took it as "well my boss said so and he's always right" Like he is all powerful. And to some extent the boss is. From my point is I dont like to hire people people that are not  free thinkers self doers. This particular boss comes arcross to me like the guy that is hiding in the dark corner spying on his droid workforce just waiting to fire someone. Im not going to fire someone or not hire someone for talking on the cell phone while at work. But I will fire him if he doesn't get the work done or comes to me every hour on what he needs to do because he cant think for himself. My workers can talk on the phone all  he wants with in common sense reason and gets his work done. I prefer the simplier method of there no rules. Just common sense either your work for me and you fit in  our motto of you are your own boss or you dont and your fired. We only hire the best and I try to pay more than fair. We dont get every bid especially with a new customer but when I do get one I always get another one. I dont need to explain as what kind of work I do here in this post I would just say that I see alot of employers babysit there employees and there is another way of doing business. Pay more up front for very bright compentant people  and you will find that it usually saves you money in the long run jobs get done faster and with better quality.
Thats how I get return customers.

Not of what I see alot is the business  method of trying to save a nickle and in the in the long run it cost you a dollar
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-06-2011 19:00
I have seen more man hours wasted by workers on the phone. I remember a supt who would chew workers out if they took two cups of water. He had a rule if he heard the phone ring on a job he would smash the phone.
Hard core and old school. But the guys that were the core of the crew knew the rules and knew the supt kept the crew working.
I have noticed the last few years how people will look at the phone, and I am trying to break my self of the habit. Now, I turn the dam thing off if I am in a meeting so as not to be tempted. I have voice mail and if the caller cannot leave a message, it must not be too important. I think we have become too dependent on the immediate response to phone calls and text messages.
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-06-2011 21:17
I have seen more man hours wasted by inefficientacy than talking on the phone for a few minutes. But like I said I associate with only the best. Not trying to pick a fight just my thoughts on the worker phone thing.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 03-06-2011 02:17
All shops operate differently.  The last shop I was at was a custom fab shop and our field guys were always communicating with the various employees/fabricators, in the shop via cell phone, to coordinate changes to dims, additions, deletions or other things that popped up.  It seemed to be a pretty efficient way to get changes done.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 03-06-2011 22:31 Edited 03-06-2011 22:37
Brent, I totally agree, On sunday morning at church our preacher has to remind people to turn their cell phone off or put it on vibrate!! I'm sitting there wondering what idiot brought their phone to church. If there is anything going on in your life that you actually need to be contacted on sunday morning during church just stay at home. If ( and that is a BIG IF) I ever have employees again cell phones will be checked at the door.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what am i doing wrong!