Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / salaries/opportunites
- - By m_dean Date 10-18-2002 00:47
My son is being encouraged to go the vocational training route by his guidance counselor. Can anyone provide infomation on the potential for employment and salaries in the Welding field?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-18-2002 02:56
I have never regretted my decision to become a welder. I have had to file for unemployement one time in 20 years and that was when the company I worked for shutdown and I was too spoiled to go back on the road. I have worked in various situations all of which have added to my resume in a positive way.

There are health risks if precautions aren't taken and sometimes the work is not out the back door or even in your part of the country but the work is always there for skilled and knowledgeable people.

I selected welding as a trade in the 9th grade and never saw a guidance counselor. I selected it because I enjoy it (Wow I can stick steel together, do that with a nail or a bolt!) .

If your son enjoys welding it should provide an excellent career. If he's being guided to it but doesn't care for it, it will provide adequate employment when the economy will support it.

I have always earned a wage above the average of people that I know outside of work. The us Dept of Labor has an excellent website with information regarding empployment outlooks for various trades and the current wages compared to the national average. The site is at http://www.ajb.dni.us

I hope this helps.

Gerald Austin

PS. I am unemployed tomorrow myself. Would you like fries with that?
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 10-18-2002 11:43
I have in my employ or have had at least 6 men (including my son) who have attended a vocational school for welding. As Mr. Austin stated, you son will get more out of it if he enjoys welding and finds it interesting. If it is simply a means to an end and he finds the work unappealing, he is destined for an $8.00 an hour production mig welding job in some factory. If he finds it fascinating and wants to always learn more and be the best welder possible, the opportunities are endless and so is the income. I have a brother in law who learned to weld in school, got out and went to Lincoln Electric welding school, one year later started welding at Perry Nuclear Power plant, 9 years later went to Ohio State, obtained a four yr. degreee in Welding Eng. and now roams the world with a six figure salary and very nice expense account. He claims in his last year of welding before going to college that he earned around $90,000 traveling the country as a pipe welder in power plants. I learned to weld in school and started my own business with a pick up truck and a 20 year old Miller gas drive welder. I am now 36 years old and I have a thriving businesss with 10 employees. My welders will make between $35K and $55K per year. There are endless opportunities for a young man with ambition and some knowledge. Encourage your son to pursue a career in welding only if he enjoys it. If he doesn't he will only be wasting everyones time. Including his own.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By m_dean Date 10-20-2002 21:11
Guys thanks alot for your input. That Dept of Labor site is an excellent resource
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 10-21-2002 20:47
Mr Dean,
Forgive me for side-stepping the precise question; you have information you requested from people who's advice around here has generally proven to be water-tight, and in that respect are in good shape.
I would like to submit an item which may help you address some of the challenge you face if your son is anything like any of my five kids and your school guidance department is anything like the one(s) I am familiar with... I have read into context and between the lines based on experience, and it may not have led to valid presumptions. That's best left to your discretion.

You know your boy's potential, weaknesses, strengths and interests better than anyone except perhaps him, and it is entirely possible his best course may lie along a path taken by a past NewJersey governor, Jim Florio. He dropped out of high school entirely, obtained his GED, started college (I believe he entered at a county community college) at an early age, and finally found his calling (after some search) in law and I believe later chose politics. It's a valid option rarely submitted to parents, and it often is the wrong chioce... but when it's appropriate it's great because it does offer unique advantages.

In any event it's nice to know there are other options as well.

Regards,
d
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-22-2002 04:12
If I remember correctly Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison are two others who didn't fit into the school mold and were otherwise educated. They didn't do too badly either.
Still not good advice for everyone.
Bill
Parent - By dee (***) Date 10-24-2002 18:09
Bill,
Of course the first step in solving a problem is to observe, investigate and properly define the problem. The solution is often the easy part!

Stay well'
D
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / salaries/opportunites