Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / AWS D1.1 study aids
- - By jonny25 Date 10-18-2002 19:46
Hi there.

My father is about take the Certified Welding Inspector Exam, and I'm trying to help him find study aids/guides. He has the Code Clinic for Study of AWS D1.1, but is searching for practice exams or some such similar excercises.

Also, he wonders if a failed exam would be returned to him for further studying.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonny25
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 10-18-2002 21:20
Practice exams may be available from AWS, but at the seminar or code clinic they will give him just about everything that AWS has to offer and it will be included in the price. Tell him to leave all of his problems at home and study hard all week and he will be fine. If he wants to study on his own he should read D1.1, QC-1:96, B1.10, B1.11, A2.4-98, A3.0:2001, AWS CODE CLINIC Reference Manual and the Welding Inspection Technology workbook. These books are expensive and all will be given to him at the clinic. Go to your local AWS chapter, they have all of these for any member to inspect. Also be familiar with calipers, a micrometer, small rulers and know how to convert fractions to decimals and metric to US. Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 11-02-2002 03:59
Get the Cetification Manual for Welding Inspectors. It's a very good overview that gives you a lot of the information you will be tested by on the CWI. The only bad thing is, it doesn't go into detail on D1.1. The only way I'm figuring I'll make it through the D1.1 test is the fact that I've had it for a year now and read through it on a regular basis, but now that I'm doing more ASME and API, I'll probably opt for the API test.
Oh yeah, when I ordered my books from Global Engineering, it cost me over 1300 dollars...
Parent - By don (**) Date 10-28-2002 03:06
email me at dmurrell@gckschools.com and I will be glad to help
Parent - By richpitt3 Date 12-11-2002 23:36
Hello Jonny25 they will not return a a failed exam. but they will send you a break down of each section of each test with how many questions in each section and how many you got right.the "certification manual for welding inspectors" helped me out alot.i did not read the code book much learned most of that at the aws seminar.i passed the test the first time.the hardest part is the hands on test
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2002 12:22
No, you won't see that exam again, they will give you your scores but you won't even know which questions you missed. There is a cut off score for a CWI, and then if you don't make that cut, there is a cut off for a CAWI, but if you missed that cut as well you get to test again.
A CAWI has to work under the supervision of a CWI, I think is how it works. I have a CAWI that works for me and helps me with the inspection at another plant.

As far as studying, I would be familiar with the code book and how it is laid out. I think they(AWS) suggest tabbing the first page in each section so it will be easier to locate your answers on the open book portion. Time will be your enemy, so move quickly through all the questions you are sure about and come back to the ones that you left and think on them some more.
Good luck,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / AWS D1.1 study aids