Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tack weld with FCAW
- - By greek (*) Date 03-03-2011 19:14
What size should a tack weld be for shop use and what size for shipping use?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-03-2011 20:07
Greek,
   Oh... about that big <>. :-)

Sorry, I could not help it. Really though, there are to many unknowns right now to give you a proper answer.

What exactly are you tacking. For example, there would be a big difference in answers between tacking up a 3" flange to 3/4" wall pipe and tacking together bunkbed frames.

Need more info. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-03-2011 20:14
See, now John was a lot more patient in asking for more info.

I was just going to say, Big and Strong enough to hold it together. 

There are many variables when tacking parts together.  Often it boils down more to experience and trial and error. 

But you could help out with some added info as to material sizes, grades, process used, etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By greek (*) Date 03-03-2011 20:28
size W12x53 grade A992 welded to A572-50 connection plate (detail states tack weld per AWS D1.1) sorry about the lack of info
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-03-2011 20:52
you still don't provide enough information, is it a 3" piece of beam on a 5 foot square plate thats 2" thick, or a 60 foot beam with a 1/4" plate thats 1 foot square?
I know you said connection plate, but there are many sizes and shapes to consider
Parent - - By greek (*) Date 03-03-2011 21:08
Column W12x53 x 50'-0" connection plate 1/2 x 12" x 1'-1"
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-03-2011 21:20
Technically to be "tack" welder certified, a 2" long "tack" weld is required for the test. 
So it could be considered a tack weld is to be 2"long.  NowI'm not saying that's a hard and fast rule, but one could use that to argue the point.  As far a size, I'd say 1/4" fillet minimum but again it really depends on the size, weight of the material.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-03-2011 22:57
Well,

The detail notation doesn't really give a person much to go by.  I presume we are talking about standard fillet welds with the size and grade of materials you have and not any full or partial pen welds.

The only thing that I see that D1.1 has to say on the issue pertains to tack welds and rather or not they are being incorporated into the final weld.  Tells you in Clause 5.18 that they must be welded following an approved WPS, meet VT if not incorporated into final weld, welded by a qualified welder, approved electrodes, etc.

D1.1 doesn't really give you an exact size and length on 'tack' welds.  At least not that I am aware of.  And I didn't see anything in it as I looked through just now. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tack weld with FCAW