Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Are you screwing around with the forum page layout/format???
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-05-2011 04:03
Within the last 2 hours, the page layout, log in etc has changed. The checked box showing which posts have been read is missing.
What is up with this?
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 13:35
Did an upgrade last night.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-05-2011 14:19
That was some upgrade.  New posts now not flagged, shows my options changed when I didn't make any changes.  No way to differentiate followed posts.
It wasn't broke.  Why did they fix things?
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 14:27
New posts are clearly marked by color. Make sure you enter the forum at this address for it to work properly: http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum.pl

Not http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_show.pl
Parent - - By psnort (*) Date 03-05-2011 14:43
_Ross - when I type in the new address it takes me to the old address - that is forum.pl takes me to forum_show.pl. What now?
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 16:06
That's ok, as long as you use the proper address to enter, then it switches. But if you use forum_show.pl to enter it doesn't reset to show what's new. You're doing it right.

Ross
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 16:37
Ross,
  It is not working for me as well. I have tried to enter through the link you posted, same thing. All my settings are the same as before. No colors are visible, no "new post" arrows, nothing.

jrw159
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 18:55
Some icons are missing. Working on it.

Ross
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2011 17:23 Edited 03-05-2011 17:31
I went through the new portal.

Got the new font options.  But the rest is still goofy.

I prefer the little yellow boxes... Please bring them back if you can.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 19:52
Yup, same over here. I didn't pay any attention to the address....I used the link to the forum in the drop down menu on the Main AWS homepage.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 20:08
Better now?

Ross
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-05-2011 20:15
ross
No
The fonts tabs have no effect
I am also missing the yellow boxes
Learned the hard way about the unread post option
But have a Good Day Ross
I am sure it will recover
Marshall
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-05-2011 20:17
Lets see hit the bold and then
The rest is better now
Marshall
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 22:15
OK

No change for me. What am I missing Marshall? :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-05-2011 22:35
jrw159
I don't know one minute I was griping sort of and the next it was the new improved version
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:15
LOL, maybe I am not holding my keyboard right. :-)

I guess I will need the luck because it is still jacked up on my end. I will run to my Dad's later and see if it is different.

Thanks a bunch,
jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:20
Don't think that will help John.

Not the keyboard nor your Dad's place.

So, how do you make the stupid 'bold' button work? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:27
When you hit reply and it tkes you to the text box, just above are the options for bold and others.

jrw159
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 14:39
Try the b button, then type your text between the bracketed items - the cursor will automatically go there.

Or do it the old way - see "markup tags" in the Help section on the main menu.

The new tool just puts in the markup for you.

The box isn't supposed to be so skinny - working on that.

Ross
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-05-2011 20:17
Ross
Thank You
Marshall
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-05-2011 20:29
You're welcome.

Ross
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-05-2011 22:32
I hope you get it fixed. I did the cgi-bin/mwf.pl and everything remains the same. Oh well
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 14:17
Do I need to clean out my cache or something to get the new posts noticed on the main forum page.....except for the number of new posts, I can't tell what is new or not.
I do see the icons on the reply box, the [img] tags are a nice touch...I had been typing them previously
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 14:34
On the homepage, if you have a little icon to the left of the topic name (looks like a miniature forum page) that is yellow, there are new posts in it. (Mouse over the icon and it should say "New/Unread.") The light blue ones have been read, and the checked ones have been marked by you as read but not really read.

Ross
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 15:08
I used to have those colored icons on the forum main page, over in the far left column, but they are gone now.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 15:21
John,

They should be there. Can you exit your browser and start all over?

Ross
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 16:08
Still not there.

jrw159
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-06-2011 16:52
I still don't have the yellow boxes and it won't let me logout now.  I tried rebooting and restarting my browser.  Still keeps me logged in all the time and the logout button does nothing.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 16:10
Try clearing the cache. The icons should be there.

Ross
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 16:37
logged out completely and then logged back in...that took care of it.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 22:27
This worked for me once I figured out how to do it right. LOL :red:

The font on some headers and the user ID is somewhat "thin" of line but I do like that you can see new post notifications on the side as a general viewer with out being logged in.

All in all, not too painfull. :lol:

jrw159 :evil:
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 22:35
Also, take a look at the buttons to the top right of the topic screens. You can navigate to the new posts and back and forth between the topic and the main boards.

Ross
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2011 22:43
There's a lot not working for me. 
1)Doesn't show where there are new/unread posts by the indicator in the little box on the left.  Only a blue number of new posts where it shows total number of posts.
2)Doesn't go to the posts I haven't read yet when I open a thread, just goes to the first one and I have to go all the way through to find the 'colored' ones showing it is new.
3)Doesn't enter as you said, I put it in that way and it automatically changes the http address to the old one and opens the forum.

I guess I am just to against change.  Especially ones that appear to make things more inconvenient instead of being an improvement.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:04 Edited 03-05-2011 23:09
I can't even make the 'bold' button work!!!???

Trying several things but still not right.

My computer even says there is an error on the page.

I have logged out twice and come back in and tried to use the 'new' entry.  Nothing.  Just changes it to the old one and goes in as before.

Where's my hammers?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:18
Just when things were working so well, along comes talk of "facebook" and then this. LOL

Don't worry Brent, they will get it fixed. :-)

If nothing else, at least the bold option seems to work well.

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2011 23:23
No bold for me!!!  I think I'll just start posting like some of these other characters...

No caps, no punctuation, bad spelling, non recognizable abbreviations, and very lousy sentence structure because they care less about proper grammer.  Then I don't need to worry about all the added features that don't work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 00:00
Select the text you want bolded then hit the "b" button. Preview it then post it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2011 00:50 Edited 03-06-2011 01:00
Select text, hit bolded, preview, post.

I think that must qualify as a new word Ross.  "bolded".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2011 00:59
I can hit bold, type, post...no bold.
Type, hit bold, post...no bold.
Type, highlight, hit bold, post...no bold.
Hit bold with a double click...no bold.
Hit bold, type, hit bold, highlight, hit bold, post...no bold.

Somebody broke my bold button.  No wonder they say I've got a yellow streak.

Doesn't matter if I preview it either.

Still can't tell where unread posts are.

Still goes to the top of a thread after posting and when selecting a thread with new posts, even if I click on 'post' when someone replies to a post.  Have to go all the way down through the thread to get to the new one.  And if they posted so that their post isn't at the bottom you have to move slow to see the new one as you go.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-06-2011 01:22
I just want to say for ROSS's sake        stay patient because working out bugs with scripts be it perl/cgi can be a nightmare and a real brain buster.....it made long nights sitting at the keyboard for me as a webmaster for clients, including a lot of message boards.  I worked that as a business for three years and it could get stressfull quickly.  I was self taught in four programming languages but when you take something someone else has written...there will always be fit up problems to work out.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-06-2011 09:30
Brent
As Ross mentioned
When you decide which of the text that you have written made bold, Right click and highlight it with the mouse then click Bold.
Change is a unique concept.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-07-2011 04:03
Ross, Marshall, and John (jrw),

Thanks for the help.

Even my 'bold' or 'b' button wasn't working because the whole thing wasn't working yet for me.

This may help others...

I had to clear my cache/cookies/brower history twice ,(don't make me explain why I had to do it twice!!), then, clear this forum from my favorites, then, reboot, then enter as Ross said back a few posts.  (Actually, I went to the AWS Website, then went to 'services', to 'forum' and entered that way.  Then I re-entered the forum into my favorites.

But at least now everything works and I Love the New Features!!

Yes, even some of us more computer and technology challenged members can learn, apply, and enjoy.  I do like the added features for bold, italics, smilies, etc.  Very good Ross. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2011 01:33
With what Tommy just said, 

Ross, I want to make sure you know I am not being 'Critical' here.  I am only letting you know I am having problems using these.  And also that I liked the former format as to the indicators for already read posts and threads, the way it went to your post when you posted instead of back to the top of the thread, went to the post that someone answered you on a thread so you didn't have to go all the way through it to read what they said, etc.

I am someone who doesn't care for change anyway, so when I have problems I can get a little frustrated.  BUT, I am not being critical or blowing my top over this. 

I really appreciate all you do to make this a good, user friendly site. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-06-2011 04:58
I cant enter the forum.

Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 14:13
Hmmm. Is that a feature or a bug?

Ross
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 14:41
Cause it's your birthday.

Ross
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 21:00
If anybody's New/Unread icons are not showing to the left of the forum topics, or if you don't have a "smiley" toolbar on your "Post Reply" screen, or if the text window for posting replies is not extending the full width of the window, please clear your cache and it will work fine.

Ross
AWS Marketing
- - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-06-2011 01:57
This is one of the two only worthwhile welding forums (IMHO) so this is a loss indeed.  I will check back daily and if not fixed will surf off to somewhere else.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 05:39
Why do web people always feel they have to "upgrade" or make changes, are they that damned BORED???  If it aint broke leave it be.  By tne way, I HATE typing in this new and improved TINY little box!!!
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-06-2011 14:12
We have to stay current with the software versions as they are released, for a number of technical reasons. If we had stayed with older versions, the next Internet Explorer version wouldn't work, for instance. Also, remember when the whole thing got hacked? They have to stay ahead on security.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Are you screwing around with the forum page layout/format???
1 2 3 Previous Next