Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TWIC CARD
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 03-05-2011 19:03
What is a TWIC CARD. I have been looking for a new job and alot of the jobs i see require a TWIC card and i dont know what that is.

Thanks
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-05-2011 19:08
Transportation Workers Identification Card. It is a Homeland Security thing. Just do a TWIC Card search and read all about it. For about $135.00 you can send off and get your Very Own TWIC Card
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 03-05-2011 19:42
Cactus have you ever heard of a "Passport Safety Training Certification"? PCL requires it on one of there projects and I have searched the internet for it and can not find it anywhere. When I call them they will not answer the question.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-05-2011 20:10
Never heard of it
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 03-06-2011 00:12
Thanks anyways.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-06-2011 09:45
tnhnt
Actually TWIC is

Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC™)

Now the Passport to Safety could be any number of things.

http://www.ccnsg.com/ccnsg-safety-passport-courses/
is one
The film industry has theirs which includes the trades of the industry
http://www.csatf.org/safety.shtml

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 03-06-2011 21:28
Hey thanks Marshall, I did find the thing about the film industry but that was it. To ugly to make any movies though but thanks for the reply.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 03-07-2011 16:23
The passport card is a safety card used for most oilfield and refinery work done in the Bakersfield California area.  There are several local businesses in Bfield that offer the class you need to sit through to get the card.  Was a one day class when I did it, about $100.  Its similar to the BATT card for N. California, Bay Area Safety Card for Houston, CSTOP for work in th N.W. basically just another way to create cottage industries in safety and more hoops for us to jump through.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 20:15
Yeah, what Cactus said. I've got mine and have not needed it yet. $135, paperwork, background checks and then go in to the local office for prints and get your new card. Seems like the employer would foot the bill if your going to work for them as an employee since it is their projects that they send you to that require the card.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-06-2011 00:32
I have one and need it where I work at a power plant on the river. You need it anywhere where there is a port, riverway etc. that there could be a terorist target. Alot of jobs use it for the extensive background check.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-06-2011 00:45
Treat it just like certifications for a job....bill it under administrative costs.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 03-06-2011 04:23
TWIC - Transpertation Worker Identification Crodentional.
- By joe pirie (***) Date 03-07-2011 13:25
Most people i know got their card in 3 to four weeks. Because i was born in a foreign country it took
me almost four months to get. I only got it cause i missed a good job not having one. of course i've
never been asked for it since lol. If your going to work powerplants, refineries,shipyards it would be a
good thing to have. Some employers reemburse the 135.00
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TWIC CARD