Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P, S, A, and F-Numbers
- - By kidblue (*) Date 03-10-2011 20:07
Did anyone knows the exact definition and difference betwwen P and S number???

Thanks!!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-10-2011 20:18
S numbers are a thing of the past relative qualifying welding procedures.

Al
Parent - - By dragon (**) Date 03-11-2011 03:07
ASME IX 2007 QW-420.2 S-numbers are assigned to materials that are acceptable for use by ASME B31 Code for pressure piping, or by selected Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Cases, but which are not included within ASME BPVC Material Specifitions(Section II).

But in 2009, S-numbers were removed from table QW/QB-420. Base metals previously assigned S-numbers were reassigned corresponding P-numbers or P-numbers plus group numbers.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2011 15:27
And if I remember correctly, the 'S' and 'P' numbers are pretty much the same as the 'M' numbers found in B2.1.

As to the other numbers in the Topic Title on this thread, the 'A' & 'F' numbers have to do with filler materials.  Again, this is if I remember correctly, the 'A' is more after a composition rating while the 'F' numbers are more an ease of use category. 

Different codes use the various numbers to reach various conditions within their scope.  They have their reasons for why one uses 'F' while another uses 'A'.  Just as the Group categories for steel in D1.1 don't necessarily match some of the groups found in B2.1 or in other codes.  The lists differ according to purpose within the particular code.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kidblue (*) Date 03-11-2011 21:06
Thank you all!!! Its been great help and I clear the doubts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P, S, A, and F-Numbers