Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Japan- amazing photo's
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 01:48
Since I have relatives living in Japan this weeks events are active conversation in my home. Been looking around and here are some amazing pictures, just cannot believe the devastation. My wife and I were talking and she asked about the insurance companies, told her this will likely break some of them.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 03-14-2011 02:21
I feel for those poor folks. I hope your people are OK Shawn.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-14-2011 10:22 Edited 03-14-2011 10:35
We are praying for them....there is plenty of bad stuff going on in the world, a lot of it created by people themselves....these poor folks got punched right in the mouth hard.  Hopefully they can come up with a supply of fresh water and some temporary power soon.  Who knows how long it will take for all the public transit systems to be cleared for use.  I have not heard one way or the other if the other reactors at that plant were safely shut down....it will be good if they only have to deal with the one, that is bad enough.

It is kinda far out that the whole of Japan is about 8-10 feet closer to us then it was last Wednesday.  The rotation of the Earth actually sped up by a few milliseconds (microseconds?). I am really surprised that there was not a larger Tsunami across the Pacific.

Not good:  I just heard on the news a minute ago....three reactors in trouble at the location we keep seeing on the news, six total struggling in the area.  They are pumping sea water into three of them, last ditch efforts.  I hope they build cores as good as they build cars.  not good news at all
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 11:56
Keep watching that about the reactors, seems yahoo news always has something new about those. I think I read that officially it moved 13 feet to the east!! Enough that they had to recaculate the GPS system or something like that. It's probably gonna be a good while for public transportation, saw a photo of a train station...well, I could see the raised bed for the tracks, no tracks and a large empty area where a train station would have been, but was no longer.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 12:33
Thanks for the pics...hard to imagine seeing that big boat on dry land like that.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 11:52
Thanks for that, all of my wifes family is around Hiroshima up in the mountains so they are ok.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-15-2011 12:17
Someone emailed me this link, it is very interesting to see the before and after satellite pics....drag the bar to the right and the pic is the before, and drag the bar to the left and it is the after pic.

click here to see pics
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-15-2011 13:57
Amazing pics, just can't believe it. Complete towns just gone! I was reading somewhere that they said the salt water would sterilize the land for years to come making it useless to farming and growing anything. Hard to imagine since every little town I've been to in Japan and especially around my wifes parents house, most everybody had a garden, rice paddy on their land and from the pictures you can see that there is a lot of farmland damaged.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-15-2011 14:10
Did you notice how many trees are now gone?...that fast moving water just mowed them down.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-15-2011 14:40
Yeah, that one picture had a bunch of trees, now just dirt, unreal.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-08-2011 15:34
Shawn,
Here is another vid of the big waves as they did their thing to the coastal towns....

VIDEO
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-08-2011 17:36
Good video, we've seen a few of those. Still amazing to see all the debris being pushed in. Wife wants to go back to Japan sometime, probably see some of the carnage on the flight in. Last number I heard was over $300 billion to rebuild!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-08-2011 17:44
They just recently had another shake, 7.1 this time. Earth's crust just keeps moving around trying to shake us off like a flea on a dog's back....LOL
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-08-2011 22:01
My brother works for NASA not exactly sure what he does for them but some of the readings he has heard at work from some of NASA's GPS trackers is that parts of Japan moved sideways 8ft.... Yes 8ft...!! He said it varied in places from a few inches and the greatest distance was 8ft sideways..  That's not messing around..!!!

RC
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-09-2011 11:51
I remember hearing something like that. Somebody said they've had to reset the gps system. That's a big move considering it moved an island!
Parent - - By grizzzly (**) Date 04-10-2011 05:40
are they getting closer or further away
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-10-2011 17:43
LOL... Thats a good question..!!  I hope further..!!

RC
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-11-2011 05:09
8 - 13 feet towards the east
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Japan- amazing photo's