Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Students like these make teaching worthwhile
- - By jpill (**) Date 03-14-2011 14:44
Here are two of my seniors. Even with all the headaches that come with teaching, and the definate paycut that comes when you take it up as a profession, students like these two make it what you look forward to everyday.

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_fe1fc93e-4d23-11e0-9c10-001cc4c03286.html
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 14:52
Good story, thanks for sharing. :cool:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 17:59
That's a good looking grill!! Congrats!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-14-2011 18:17
Hello Jeff, that's a pretty awesome story and grill. As you said, students such as those certainly make it all worth while. Although I know that the others provide those challenges to have them come to a similar realization, as your successful ones have. Once again, great story and super looking grill, definitely a number of things to be proud of there, both for the boys and yourself. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 03-20-2011 16:05
Wanna have some instant gratification about teaching,,, take a guy say 40-50 ish, make sure he has glasses, someone that has been around the fringe of welding or done some "self learnin", if he is willing and show him how to run a 6011,,,, as is so aptly described here,, those who may have done "farmer" welding etc. Man, in about 10 minutes you can really see the lights come on,,, wish someone would have taken me aside 20 yrs ago and showed me that is a regular comment. I seen a lot of guys been doing this 30 yrs,,, you would think after a while they would realize something doesn't look right,, maybe there is a reason the other guys look different,, but noooo, this is a crowd not worth teaching or too hard, or we always done it that way. But a guy that really wants to know is a grin when he gets it.
  I had a pair come in,, father wanted the son to learn, the son was ok but I give the Dad a spin, he was a natural, I could learn him a lot fast, he can teach the son where a longer course would have been beneficial.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-21-2011 02:30
The problem with being a "farmer welder" is that You, Your buz box and the instruction book are all You have. Nobody to ask, nobody to show You. So You do the best You can, then it may be a month or a few months before something else breaks, and You start all over again. Then You teach Your son what little You know, and now He is a farmer welder too. I know how this works, as I am the son.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Students like these make teaching worthwhile