Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Setting a Well Head Pictures
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-16-2011 16:33 Edited 03-16-2011 16:54
I set this Head last night and here are some Pics. There is a Pic of the Head with the Elephant Foot on it. But we cut it off. The Company Man decided that we didnt need it since the cellar was so small. It was a choice of cut it off or dig the cellar out. It's gone now. This Head was bigger than average. It is a 16 5/8 Head. Most are 9 5/8
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-16-2011 16:44
This was Ronnie's FIRST HEAD JOB while someone was watching !
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2011 17:02
Thanks for the pics Cactus.

What do you think Ronnie?  Did you do good?  I'll bet you did. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 03-16-2011 18:21
Well he's got the best stinger and power tools known to welders. Thanks for the pics Dwayne.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 03-17-2011 00:23
Open root 7018 on the bead? From the slag and smoke on the tacks and what looks like a low-hy rod in the stinger, I'm guessin.  There's a japanese manufactured rod we tested with for that procedure did a nice job.  What are you guys using?
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:27
Man what pics do you see smoke.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-18-2011 01:29
Esab Atom Arc 7018
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 03-19-2011 03:30
Cactus
Do you preheat the head prior to setting it and then just leave the weedburner on the head thereafter to maintain the heat? I`m thinking that is what you do. I know a welder up here by me who does it that way. But I have heard of a company up by me also,who hires young kids that aren`t much for welders,who don`t preheat,they just lay the weedburner inside the head and start welding. I don`t know how their company stays in business. I just preheat to 300 degrees,quickly set the head,then heat a little again to regain the lost heat, then weld her up quick.[some company men want 200 degrees,some want 300] I`ve never had any problems this way,just looking for better and quicker ways to get her done. I probably shouldn`t be looking for quicker ways,because up here I charge by the hour for the complete job,and that is all I have ever heard as to how it is done here. We don`t charge by the inch while welding,wish I could though. As I said I have never had a problem on any head I have welded on, but I was also wondering how long you usually wait [for the head to cool] before pressure testing? Most of the heads I weld are 13 5/8 inch. Thanks for any input.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-19-2011 10:57 Edited 03-19-2011 11:46
Yes, I preheat prior to setting it. If you don't, It will not go on. I usually just preheat, Set it, Weld it, Clear the Hole and then Test it. These Company men here want it done FAST. They would NEVER go for Heating after the Weld. I understand the Concept, It just doesn't work that way in reality
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 03-20-2011 02:44
Some of the heads I put on are very sloppy,and I`ve noticed that the casing is actually 13 3/8 inch on these instead of 13 5/8. I always thought 13 5/8 was the standard and excepted size. I done some research on this awhile back and from what I read[if it is true] is that the 13 3/8 size comes from China,it figures. I put a head on a few months back on this 13 3/8 casing,and the casing was out of round by a half inch,kind of egg shaped. When I told the company man he was hot,which I don`t blame him.Well I actually didn`t weld it on this casing,they had to truck in all new and good casing,which caused considerable downtime.The tool pusher actually had me there early doing a bunch of rig work while waiting to do the head. I realized the pipe was bad when I went to slip the cement shoe on prior to welding,and couldn`t understand why it wouldn`t fit. Who would have thought new pipe being out of round. You could tell by looking at it that it was not crushed or anything,just made kind of egg shaped,which explains it if that size does come from China. I like everyone else hate the junk that comes from China.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 03-17-2011 02:23 Edited 03-17-2011 02:31
"Well he's got the best stinger and power tools known to welders. Thanks for the pics Dwayne." Up-ten

Powered by the best machine known to welders. Ha Ha. I wonder if ol' Cactus has made "Professional" and put lights on his Vantage too. What do ya think Bob, should we ask them to join our Rig truck Parade. (just a couple old jokes between me & up-ten, from back when making jokes and trying to enter your rig in the local parade was all there was to do):grin:

Pictures look good, keep'em comin'
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 03-17-2011 19:18
DeWalt=high end StanleyBlack and Decker
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:47
Amazing what happens when they change product color from gray to yellow.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-17-2011 21:54
Anyone notice how "Brown" Ronnie's nose is in the pictures ?
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:21
He is smiling about it too!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-18-2011 20:40
Theres not enuf mud in the hole to make it to difficult to run around and only 1 empty bag i always have to makes a mattress out of them to set a head
Parent - - By roundydownie (**) Date 03-20-2011 04:08
Man thats the cleanest cellar i have ever seen. where is all the cotton hulls to soak up the water..lol  nice pics
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-20-2011 12:28
They had to dig out the cellar so it was clean.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 03-17-2011 01:06
nice pics man, I am suppose to have 5 or 6 of those the end of the month. nice pics :)
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 03-17-2011 01:27
Aww, you guys get all the fun jobs. I grew up in Texas back in the 70's. My Dad was a pumper for a while, and I used to go with him during the summer. That was back when employers still had a sense of humor, and every pumping unit had a Fairbanks-Morris engine on it. I never got to be around a rig much though so I haven't ever seen this part of the operation. Pretty cool, Ronnie and Cactus. Let us see some more.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 04-29-2011 02:35
Great pics & post thanks, a couple of questions on the casing within a casing; eastern Montana and ND never seen this. Please explain, diameter of outside casing and depth, diameter of surface casing I see is 16 5/8; what is the depth of surface casing? Reason for 16 5/8? Using 2 production strings? Is this the same hole as the other post on rig welding? Was the "cute little rig" used for these casing? Surface casing cemented to outside casing? What is the drilling procedure for the two casings? Just curious when things are done differently from previous experience. thank you
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-29-2011 11:40 Edited 04-29-2011 11:42
The "Cute Little Rig" that you are referring to is the Scan Energy. It is a 1500 HP Triple. As far as WHY they used the size casing they did, Because that is what the Drill Engineer wanted. Is the Surface casing cemented ? Yes, All Surface casing gets cemented. The surface on this hole was set at 500 ft. I have worked all over ND and this is the same way they do it there
- - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-17-2011 03:24
Whoever invented those "elephants foot" well heads, should be shot..... what a stupid design.  I bet you were happy they let you cut it off:lol:
Thanks for sharing the pics!
BTW... do you guys charge by the hour for well heads or by the inch??  Just curious...

Thanks,
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-17-2011 11:19
I charge $70.00 per hour Wait time and $125.00 an inch when welding the Head.
Parent - - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-17-2011 20:21
That's what we were getting up here in PA....... Until some jerk-offs started running around doing well heads "by the hour":mad::mad:
We haven't done a single head since these bastards started doing this...

Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-17-2011 21:34
The Idiot that started all of that is named Calvin White with White's Welding. He thinks he knows it all. He had his ass handed to him a few times already up there. He is out of Oklahoma and went to PA to corner the market on Welding. You would have thought he knew better.
Parent - By jffluxcore (**) Date 03-17-2011 21:45
Cacus, great pictures, keep them coming. Jim
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-17-2011 22:16
Ronnie, glad to see you are doing well and burning rod:grin: Keep up the good work! Also I don’t want to Hi-Jack this and run it off topic but just like Cactus calling a spade a spade with a guy who has caused a huge backlash in PA I see this here in Az also. There are many here in my home state with 110V welders and harbor freight generators charging $25 an hour claiming to offer quality "Mobile Welding". I have repaired my fair share of their bubble gum and let the customer know what kind of garbage they got trying to save a buck. Do it right the first time then you only have to do it once! One weld in particular, two weekends ago, I took off in about 10 seconds with a cold chisel and ball peen. This weld was 4" long, and the only thing holding it on was gravity and spatter! I made sure the customer was watching while I removed the weld. The thing that pisses me off the most is this kind of work is running around on the interstate at 75MPH... Just venting here but I would never trust some half azz hack job in this sue happy country to work on anything of mine.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-17-2011 22:45
Wade, It amazes me at how some of these IDIOTS get an MSA and fullfill the requirements.  I have an Energy Company that has me jumping through Hoops. They even ran a Credit check on my Corp with Dunn and Bradstreet before I could be aprroved on their list. I had to list all Experience for the last 3 years. They verified EVERY one. I cant figure out how the "Riglets" are getting by with it. Wish I could, It would sure be cheaper !
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2011 23:22
There are alot of us here who totally understand that Cactus.  How these people get any work at all is really frustrating.  I'm sure many others here have had to repair their work as well.  It is more than scary to think that these guys put on hitches, build and/or repair trailers, and how many other CRITICAL jobs. 

I've seen Wade weld.  I've seen welds by others here.  And not just in the pics they post.  Most are pretty good.  But the guys out there who manage to steal our work with inferior equipment, skills, and absolutely NO knowledge aren't even worth the time and powder to get rid of them. 

Anyway, good job tutoring Ronnie.  Looks like he has been a good student.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:05 Edited 03-18-2011 03:30
Hey Brent,
I'm moving up in the world... most of my welds are pretty good now:twisted: lol edit no disrespect taken or ment.

Thumbs up from me also to both Cactus and Ronnie! I'm happy to see the American Dream in action. Bravo!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:10
I can't even imagine trying to get on the contractors list for the mining company I work for. I think I would feel violated after the process was over... worse than seeing a Proctologist!
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-18-2011 01:34
Thats the way I feel after some of these Energy Companies. And they use 3 Fingers !! Ronnie is a Great Student and will go far in "Our World"
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-18-2011 20:38
Wade asyou know i am working at a mine too. Some of the crap i've seen on the draglines and easy miners was very surprising to see cause there is a test to pass to even be considered for the job what a joke. The crap welds i have seen and nobody says nothing. Under cut,curtains,no penetration these guys just dont know or care they are just there to draw a check. I recomended to the new contractor to retest all the welders but they didnt so i have to go behind all these wanabes and fix their junk
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 22:19
Shad, I hope things are at least getting a bit better for you there. I work for Freeport McMoRan who is a global mining company and one of the world’s largest. We have great control over our business and IMO I believe it is World Class. There is a very extensive process to work as a contractor for FMI, it works and I believe it is the right thing to do but I would not want to manage it as a contractor. I am fortunate to have almost complete control of our maintenance group and my expectations are very high. We built this mine with a culture that is sadly very uncommon in other mines including other FMI properties. My advice would be to learn all you can where you are at. Think of ways to make it more proficient even if they don't listen to you or implement your ideas note them because someday somewhere will ask you what you think and listen to your answer with an open mind. Shovel and Drag Line maintenance in the mines I have worked in and visited has impressed me in their abilities and craftsmanship. Usually mining outfits look for two years of related experience as a minimum. Start looking into the large mining outfits that do not contract all their maintenance out and have in house maintenance departments. I can tell you that I would feel honored to weld in some of the maintenance shops I have been around that repair Drag Lines. Some of these jobs pay 40-60 dollars an hour plus bennies, bonuses and retirement. I have made an excellent living in the mining field and will have no problem retiring in about 10 years. There are great places to work for as well as total crap holes in mining just like anything else. People with mining experience are getting harder and harder to find! I can't believe that I have not interviewed one mechanic in the last year with more than five years of Crushing Conveying/Milling experience? The biggest problem with mining is that usually mines are where people don’t want to live. Find somewhere good and stay a while and learn their process. If you don't like it there look for something better because I know firsthand that experienced people are not a mile deep waiting on these jobs anymore. I know you would like working and be able to grow in a good mining company.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 03-18-2011 01:58
thats funny, thats the same way i feel about all the swinging dicks and a "welding" truck coming up here.lol
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-18-2011 02:26
Nice pics.....Damm Ronnie your nose is pretty brown there!?!?   Also nice to see a real ground clamp on that head.....    Ronnie is way ahead of me I never even seen one of those in person, much less welded one.  I like the pricing of the whole thing quite a bit!!!!
Parent - - By roundydownie (**) Date 03-20-2011 04:21
my buddy is building around twenty pits a month for calvin.I worked for him about seven years ago but we butted heads.that dudes not even thirty and is making millions. I hate that he took your guys work. thats how they do it in ok or thats how it was back when i did it was by the hour.four hour min. and do one in 45 mins.its been atleast ten years since i done one.Im just like you guys! I wanna make every dollar im worth and cant stand low balling. rigs,pipelines or whatever!!!!!
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-20-2011 21:46
It doesn't hurt that Calvin's Father in Law pumped a TON of Money into Calvin's operation to get him off the ground. Calvin is not the Brains and Money behind his company. It's his Wife's Dad. He even built them a Huge House
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Setting a Well Head Pictures