Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do lead reels cause arc blow...
- - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-17-2011 03:47
I know this topic has been beat to death but i did a search on here and didnt come up with too much.... so i figured id get some opinions from everyone.
I am in the process of putting together a second welding rig and am really torn between going with lead reels or just "hanging" the leads on some posts.
I like the convenience of reels but i have always been concerned that they contribute to arc blow.
When doing x-ray welds i really cant afford any possibility of arc blow/ ect.
I know alot of people say just un-spool them completely when doing something critical but I run 150' of lead and really hate to un-roll that much lead.
I have always felt that having the leads tightly wound around spool reel is worse (for arc blow issues) than having them loosely draped over post... what do you guys/gals think??
Please share your opinions/input.
Thanks so much.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 03-17-2011 11:13
I had my leads hung together on a hook, but have since went to reels. Here is a question I sent Lincoln some time ago, with the anwser from a welding engineer. It doesn't address arc blow, but has some things to consider.
(Their software took all the capitals out of my message)

----------------------------------------
Comment: i currently run a vantage 300
i am wondering about the difference between storing leads on horns together, separately,  or  on spools.
is there a noticeable effect on the machine? it seems to me there is, but i''ve been told it''s all in my head.
what does lincoln say about this?
thanks,
jeff

This may or may not cause a noticeable difference in the welding arc. It depends on the cable lengths, welding machine, electrode, and procedure. With short cable lengths (e.g. <50 feet), a big machine, and a smooth running electrode at medium amperage, there may not be a noticeable difference.

Looping the electrode and work cables together is better as it reduces the inductance. Basically, by doing this, it reduces the magnetic field losses. When looped separate, each creates its own strong magnetic field, and this energy does not make it down to the electrode. Looping them togther help cancel the + and - fields.

The best way to run long leads is lay them straight and flat with the electrode and work cables together.

Also, the machine needs to have enough voltage to overcome the resistance in the long cable run.

So, yes, there is a difference which you may notice with some electrodes at some procedures. I hope that answers your question.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-17-2011 18:22
IMHO, looping leads or storing on a reel does not contribute to arc blow, but amplifies voltage drop.
Unless, you are looping your leads on top of or around the material to be welded, thus magnatizing it.
Arc blow is caused by the arc and the material both having the same magnetic polarity, so they repulse each other and bend the arc.

Tim
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 03-17-2011 18:49
Also if your running a Vantage or PipePro(for example) and your reels have been mounted too close to the main board, you'll experience problems.
Parent - - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-17-2011 20:16 Edited 03-18-2011 02:33
I have my reals right next to the front of my machine... sometimes running my Vantage and sometimes running my 300D or SA-200.
What kind of problems are caused by mounting the reals too close to the main board?
Thanks for all the input guys!!
Keep it coming.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 03-18-2011 00:43
Sorry, dont know the exact science other than my welder tech telling me about many guys coming in with unexplainable weld puddle/arc problems. After unspoooling all their cable off the reels, problem disappears.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-18-2011 18:33
Try this experiment...
Hang several loops of lead, about 2' diameter loops, on something laying across the top of your welding machine.
Arrange the loops so that they hang loose and are only supported by whatever they're hanging on, and are hanging about 3"-6" away from the side of the machine without touching.
Now get someone to make short stich welds at a high amperage. Wath the loops of lead move, change shape and draw toward the machine while the arc is struck.
This will give you an idea of the size of the magentic field generated, and allow you to see how this intense field could be detremental to computer boards inside modern machines.

Tim
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 03-19-2011 03:47
My leads are on reels about 8-9 inches off to the side of the machine,with the ground lead in line with the amperage adjustment knob,and the stinger lead below that. I rarely uncoil the whole thing unless needed. I don`t know if that will in any way harm my circuit board in the way they are mounted,hopefully not. I have a Vantage 300 with about 1000 hours ran this way. Should I consider changing this? Thanks for any input.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-21-2011 10:58
If you've not had problems so far, you probly won't.
I would suggest a test though.
Run a bead as is, then uncoil the leads and run another to see if you can tell any difference.
Theoretically, the uncoiled lead should provide a smoother arc.

Tim
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 03-21-2011 17:12
I`ll try it thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do lead reels cause arc blow...