Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Light gauge tube welding
- - By qcmike (**) Date 03-17-2011 15:53
As a heavy iron shop we do not get into light gauge tube welding.  We are looking to weld 1" square 16G tubing in a T configuration.  Is ERW an option in a jig? Or is GMAW/GTAW my only option.  I have 40,000 of these to make and want to optimize production.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-17-2011 16:01
qcmike

What weld is called for?
What about the radius of tube or is it an arch tube?

So many questions.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2011 16:33
I presume when you say "in a T configuration" that there will be two fillet welds and two butt welds.  At least if you are welding all the way around.

My first impulse is to say GMAW but that is hard to say without knowing more about the job, any applicable code, and your shop setup and available equipment.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By qcmike (**) Date 03-17-2011 16:50
Thanks for the comments and quick feedback.  Yes, it is matched wall tube so two fillets and two flare groove butts would be a correct description.  The GM's idea was to implement some sort of press jig to implement ERW at the tee weld.   I have 0 experience with ERW.  But first thought is that it is not compatible with tee joints.

I have as much information as you do at this point.  I would assume it's commercial work, no code.  Also, any ERW/GTAW equipment would need to be purchased.

This is baby steel when we work daily with jumbo i-beams and girders.  I'm pretty sure they just want to know which way to go for the estimate.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-17-2011 18:15
40,000!?
Sub it out to a job shop with a GMAW robot...

Tim
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2011 18:40
That's kinda what I was thinking when I first saw it.  That's why I was curious as to what equipment their shop had available without purchasing the robotics just for this. 

That would sure keep a couple newbies busy learning to weld.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-18-2011 02:18
If you have a long enough lead time just sub it to a job shop...with this economy someone will jump on it at the right price I figure
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Light gauge tube welding