Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Thorium in SFA-5.12 Tungston electrodes
- - By swift (*) Date 10-22-2002 01:45
Is anyone aware of health problems resulting from the use of 2% Thorium electrodes for GTAW? (red stripe) The information on the EPA web site does not paint a pretty picture for Thorium Oxide. Also, what is typical industry practice for the disposal of grinding dust generated from sharpening? Do most employers supply dedicated grinders with local ventalation?
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-22-2002 15:08
Yes, this was brought to my attention one day by one of the welders on the floor. I did some research, and did not get a real definitive answear on it. I read an artical in the welding journal and it discussed it briefly. I then made the decision to go to a lanthinated electrode, it reportedly stated that it had the closest arc characteristics to the thoreated, and didn't propose a health hazard.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-22-2002 21:46
Read the previous thread on this topic:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=1631

Marty
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 10-23-2002 13:20
Thorium in tungsten electrodes is somewhat radioactive.
If it is inhaled by means of grinding dust, it can possible cause some health problems.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Thorium in SFA-5.12 Tungston electrodes