Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What a minimum lenght for shop splicing?
- By bhichai.s (*) Date 03-18-2011 01:40
Dear Sir,

I would like to ask about the minimum short piece splicing.

When I have available local material is 6,000 mm. But the drawing required is 6,100 mm.

What the lenght of splicer are conform to AISC design reccommend, 100 mm. for short piece splicing is acceptable or not?, if 'NO', sholud be how many lenght?

or should be cut the main part to 5,500 mm. and used 600 mm. for splicing. In this way, I will have many scrap.

However, please let me know, what the document and paragraph. (standard and/or specification) are recommend about this.

Thank you very much in advance.

BST
- - By bhichai.s (*) Date 03-18-2011 01:49
Additional...

I will splicing by CJP groove weld and test by UT100%

Thank you in advace again.

BST.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-18-2011 12:54
bhichai.s
That is something that needs to be determined or at least approved by the Engineer of Record (E.O.R.).
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2011 15:41
I don't know that there is a minimum length expressed in AISC.  I don't have it handy to look at right now.  If it is just a few mm you can just add by welding.  Longer measurements you add by splicing. 

Ultimately Marshall is correct, you must get it approved by the engineer.  Just ask them how they want to deal with it.

BUT, I'm curious.  You haven't told us the exact material such as tubing, wide flange beam, etc. or it's size.  But regardless, I find it odd that you are using what in my USA mindset is a 20' piece when you need 20'-5" (probably not exact, just some quick calcs).  Why don't you just order longer material and cut it to length instead of spending the time and money to cut anyway, prep for CJP, weld, and UT.  Doesn't sound cost effective to me.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By bhichai.s (*) Date 03-19-2011 02:31
Dear Marshall, Brent,

Your answers are very useful for me, it's clear up for my work to be practices and inspections in our shop.

Thank you very much.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 03-19-2011 02:46
Even though the splice weld would typically be a CJP, the EOR may also have a preference with regard to the splice location.  He/she may want the splice on a column at the top instead of the bottom, or vice versa.   He/she may want the splice on a beam on the left end rather than the right end, or vice versa.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-20-2011 14:32
Hi BST,
in addition to the great advice given already......

When we have to splice a short piece back on due to a shop error or customer change, I like to have,at a minimum, splice enough material back on to be able to scan in 3 legs with the 70° degree transducer...Keep in mind thickness of the flanges usually dictate what that dimension will be....that also gives enough wiggle room for the 60° and 45° if needed.

Hope this helps,
Parent - By bhichai.s (*) Date 03-21-2011 06:34
Hi, every one,

Thank you very much for all suggestion,

BST.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What a minimum lenght for shop splicing?