Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best engine drive for portable ac tig
- - By weaver (***) Date 03-18-2011 02:00
looking for the best engine drive for portable ac tig. my beloved pipe pro won't do it..:(
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-18-2011 02:14
Weaver if you want to go big I might have to bite the bullet and say a Vantage.  I have not used one but I see them on a lot of trucks and never found anyone who does not like it.  If it is light stuff and your not doing a lot of it any old 250 trailblazer or even a ranger 8  would be fine I would think.  I have used both on stuff they just could not bring to the shop.  Best part is you can pick one up cheap.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-18-2011 02:20
The Vantage will not do AC Tig. I wish it did.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-18-2011 02:28 Edited 03-18-2011 02:31
OOOOOPS I thought they did....DAMM Cactus there is something the beloved Vantage cannot do?>????!!!!!    Well they still can shine your boots and fetch your beer right?

Really so a vantage has no AC welding?>
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-18-2011 02:30
I can DC Tig with Helium and tell'em all it has AC !
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-18-2011 02:32
THERE YA GO bro adapt and overcome
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 03-18-2011 22:54
Hey Tommy, they do aluminum. Ya just have to put an Aerowave or Dienasty 700 between the Vantage and the work!!!!
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 03-18-2011 02:15
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but have you considered a Miller Dynasty 200 powered by your Pipe Pro? At 200 amps it may not have enough heat for what you need it for, 1/4 in aluminum is about it.

Have you ever ran a spool gun with your Pipe Pro? Mine welds aluminum very nicely with a spool gun.

Floyd
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 02:21
Balence and Frequency adjusted properly and proper joint prep with pre heat if needed the 200 will do 3/8 as long as your not taking it beyond its duty cycle.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-18-2011 02:16
Shannon, at one time I had the high freq box and used my air cooled torch and it worked ok. I currently just use my Dynasty200dx for much much better results.That way I don't have to keep up a different rig setup on my portable machine. I am very happy with the Dynasty and it offers way more flexibility than my old setup. Your pipe pro will have no problem running up to the Dynasty350. Best part IMO is now I only need to maintain one tig setup for the shop and the truck. Just a thought to consider?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-18-2011 02:16 Edited 03-18-2011 02:19
How much amperage do You need? A Trailblazer 302 [or a 301] will be OK to 200 amps AC. As an option, You can get AC weld output on a Big 40 $$$$.
It is easier to find used HF boxes for a Miller than for a Lincoln.
A month or so ago someone mentioned another Miller that does AC TIG, couldn't find it on the website.

If looking for a small used machine, A Ranger 9 will do 200 amp AC and has a contactor & remote amperage, but used HF boxes for it are harder to find.

There is always the AC TIG inverter rout if You have enough Aux. power to drive it and money to pay for it...
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-19-2011 02:11
Dave, I use a miller pro 350 has 350 amps ac current, use to weld aluminum pipe in the field (hand rail). Have it hooked up to a lincoln hi-freq. box. Had to go to the miller because lincoln quit making ranger 250 D10 PRO!!!!!:mad:
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-19-2011 02:46
That is the Miller machine another guy mentioned about a month ago. Do they still make it? It isn't listed on the website.

Is the Lincoln You mentioned in the same family as the  Ranger 10 LX and Ranger 300DLX ? A guy I know through blacksmithing has an early one on His welding truck.

It looks like running an inverter from the Aux. power is the way of the future.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-19-2011 03:15
Dave,   Looks like miller  discontinued this machine:confused:   Yea, the DLX's  were the final design for that series !!!!!!!   Had a kobuta diesel engine in them same as the miller 350 pro. Also has CV for mig welding.  (excellent for changing cutting edges on buckets, spool gun for aluminum)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-19-2011 03:27
I lusted over that Ranger 300 DLX in the catalog, and have never come across a good one cheap. I understand the generator bearing is that machines Achillies Heel.

Is that Miller Pro 350 a later version of the Trailblazer Pro 350D ?
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-20-2011 01:24
Dave , Same machine , the DLX's I sold  two over the winter, ( to much equip. not enough work ) Both went for $3500.00/ea., 3000/hrs. & 5000/hrs. . Started buying them when they 1st came out in 1986 and continued till they discontinued 1996?  NEVER had a problem, would sale @ 8-9000/ hr. mark. A mechanic that works at a well known rental co. in Pittsburgh told me,:wink: "unload BEFORE 10,000/hrs.!!!!!!"
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-20-2011 03:03
8-9K hours is pretty many on a 3600 RPM machine, 10K is a LOT. You must have really liked them to have had so many.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 03-18-2011 03:14
Hey Weaver,

I use a Lincoln Invertec 205-T AC/DC, (comparable to a miller dynasty) that I run off of my vantage. It works pretty good, the invertec has hi-freq, pulse, slope control, wave balance, pre/post flow, basically you name it, it has it. I'm no Aluminum expert but, Its not to hard using these machines. As far as thickness, I've only welded up to 1/4'' with it. I think if a guy was going to weld thicker than 1/4'' he should switch to Mig but, thats just my thoughts. Also, I'd look on Ebay, there is a lot of Hobby welders that buy these type of machines.

Good luck,
Tim
- - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-18-2011 02:52 Edited 03-18-2011 03:00
:cool:My Vantage will do AC TIG........

....With my Lincoln Invertec 205T AC/DC plugged into it's 220 outlet.... It does a absolutely incredible job, hands down the best AC tig machine i have ever used (and ive used a lot of them)
If you are looking for AC tig capabilities, look no further than the Invertec 205T...
I just got back from welding up an aluminum water tanker, been on it all afternoon... it was a pleasure to weld with this machine.:cool::smile:
I nice thing about the Invertec is that it is small enough to keep on my welding rig all the time and i can take it in the shop whenever i need it and plug it in the wall.
Awesome machine!!

They are expensive to buy brand new... but look for a good deal on a used one... I bought mine for 1500 bucks in excellent condition.  It paid for itself in a couple weeks!
Parent - - By EMANRESU (*) Date 03-18-2011 06:23
I've used the invertec and the dynasty I tig a lot of aluminum and the Miller wins hands down. I agree though unless you can justify another machine and a hi-fi box the inverter on auxiliary power is more economical.
Parent - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-19-2011 02:31
I guess it all depends on the user.... i have nothing against Miller... I own both.  I prefer the Lincoln Invertec for AC aluminum by far (much better arc characteristics, IMO)
Heck my little Invertec blows our Miller Syncrowave 350 out of the water...
To each his own:smile:

- - By Austin-T (*) Date 03-19-2011 21:47
Just curious, as someone who does not do any Tig welding, what would you use an AC tig machine for?, and what would you use a DC Tig machine for?
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-20-2011 01:30
AC tig- ALL aluminum railing , boat dock/boat repairs. DC tig- S.S. railing, heating coils in induction furnaces, vacuum furnace fittings, food processing equipment and S.S. piping in clean enviroments.:cool:
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-20-2011 20:56
- By Austin-T (*) Date 03-20-2011 21:04
Thanks for the response everyone-I appreciate it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best engine drive for portable ac tig