Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / fitup tabs for a fabrication aide
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-21-2011 23:06
Hello everyone, I have included some images of how fitup tabs can be used to help with the fabrication of a tank. This example is a "scaled down" version of larger types of this sort of design. The tabs that you see are sheared with a taper on one edge to help with line-up and rounding of the bottom rolled section.Typically the circle representing the inner diameter of the tank would be scribed or otherwise marked on the bottom plate and the lineup tabs would be located along this line on the inside of the circle. The tabs on the other rolled sections are used to help with the initial fitup of the section to section pieces and then the fabricator/fitter would likely have to utilize wedges/dogs, keyplates(this term and tool courtesy of other forum members), or similar types of hi-low adjustment fitting tools. This tab arrangement can be used on numerous other applications as well as the one that I have shown here.
     For example: if you were stacking plates vertically for a particular application and wanted to be able to fit them edge to edge, you could put tabs on both sides of the lower plate at various locations along the seam, thus allowing for an initial alignment and support of this seam while tacking it together. Hope this makes sense and also hope others might chime in here with further examples and pictures if possible. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 03-22-2011 01:53
We use to do that same thing in the shop while making water/air lifts for diving.  Always seemed like we never had long enough pipe and was forever splicing.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2011 19:40
I like it.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / fitup tabs for a fabrication aide