Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to control the Gap? How to repair?
- - By tigerlee Date 03-22-2011 05:45
According to AWS D1.1, root openings repair as below.
But I don't know repair method incase of 20mm over.
Please let me know How to repair incase of not meet with AWS D1.1?

AWS D1.1
"5.22.4.3 Correction. Root openings greater than
those allowed in 5.22.4.1, but not greater than twice the
thickness of the thinner part or 3/4 in. [20 mm], whichever
is less, may be corrected by welding to acceptable
dimensions prior to joining the parts by welding.
5.22.4.4 Engineer’s Approval. Root openings
greater than allowed by 5.22.4.3 may be corrected by
welding only with the approval of the Engineer."
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-22-2011 13:14
tigerlee

ONE WAY would be to dissassemble the piece if it is already tack welded, add "buttering welds" to build up the low areas on the joint root and bevel face. Then perform the appropriate NDT.  Then restore the joint geometry by grinding.  Then re-assemble the components and weld to completion. 

In my experience, most engineers just seem to ignore the excess root opening, unless there is an inspector present.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By tigerlee Date 03-23-2011 01:22
Thank you Mr. Kane for your reply.

Our fabrication shop, corrected by buttering welds normally.
But excess gap 20mm over, in this case not cleared and argument with inspector or customer.
How to solution? need additional welding seam as below sketch?
Please advise me.

Thank you.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-26-2011 16:15 Edited 03-28-2011 13:00
I've used the "buttering" technique Joe has mentioned on numerous occasions with good results.

From a practical standpoint, there is no difference in using the buttering (a surfacing weld) on 1 inch plate to reduce the root opening and welding a very thick joint. The weld deposit is often overmatched and as sound as the base metal if the welder knows how to weld. Limiting the discussion to low carbon and high strength low alloy steels, the properties of the weld often are better than the virgin base metal with regards to UTS, YS, and ductility. Consider the attached sketch. Is the "soundness" and the mechanical properties of the 1 inch thick plate with the "repaired root opening" any different than the welded V-groove in the 4 inch plate? Let's not forget that the requirements of D1.1 must be met if that is the appropriate welding code. Under the auspices of D1.1 the Engineer would have to approve proposed repair if the root opening exceeds that permitted by clause 5.22.4.3 and inorder to comply with clause 5.23.4.4 (D1.1-2010).

The technique can mitigate the potential for lamellar tears if the surfacing weld is deposited using low hydrogen deposit on the member most likely to suffer lamellar tear. The surfacing weld can be used to reduce the root opening, but the secret is to deposit the weld on one or both members without tying the two together until the corrective work is completed. The idea is to deposit the surfacing welds while the joint is unrestrained.  This technique can also be used when joining two materials that do not play nicely together (think copper alloys joined to carbon steel or high strength low alloy steels) where the surfacing weld consists of several layers of weld metal that is compatible with the copper alloy and the carbon steel or HSLA steel. The transition layers must consist of a few layers to reduce the dilution to the point where the chemistry of the deposit is suitable for the closure weld.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to control the Gap? How to repair?