Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Level III Basic Exam
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 03-24-2011 01:59
Hello everyone,
This ones for the level 3's out there. I have recently began studying for the level 3 basic exam. I bought all of the recommended study material from ASNT website for the basic exam listed under the certification link. As i go through the practice questions from the supplements i am seeing that a good bit of the material isnt covered in the recommended books. Now the question. Is the suggested study material adequate for passing the basic exam, or should i go and get the volume for the actual method? Also any tips or suggestions for preparing for the exam would be helpful.

Regards
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 03-24-2011 12:27
What discipline will you be tested on?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 03-29-2011 18:30
i just took basic LVL III
It hits all the methods so be familiar with them. RT, MT formulas were in mine. There was a few questions on surface finishes , Machine tooling, bonding.
This is not a test IMHO that one can pass with just reading the study material referenced. You must have a firm grasp on maufacturing in general, this test covers everything.
Make sure you know about material manufacture and inherent defects related to each process, and what method can detect what.
From all the reference material i had i will say the test is NOT constructed from those questions. The subjects will be there but the questions were all asked in different ways.
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 03-24-2011 17:02
Sorry, I will just be taking the basic exam for the first time. After the basic i will be taking a method but ill cross that bridge when i get to it. The basic requires a general understanding of all methods.

Regards
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-26-2011 15:58
The Basic examination includes questions on each of the primary test methods, i.e., penetrant, magnetic particle, eddy current, radiography, etc, manufacturing processes and related discontinuities, i.e., castings, welding, machining, etc., as well as questions on SNT-TC-1A and CP-189.It is a comprehensive examination that requires the candidate to have a good understanding of the principals, advantages, and limitations of the various NDT methods. The examination involves a thorough knowledge of the discontinuities that are unique to each manufacturing method beginning with the production of the raw material through finished product. The candidate is also expected to understand both employer based and central certification schemes. A thorough understanding of how certification programs function is essential.

I recommend you study the “old stand-by” NDT handbook written by McMasters. It provides the practitioner with the basic theory of each of the major NDT methods that is still relevant. 

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By tbigtdav (*) Date 03-29-2011 01:10 Edited 03-29-2011 05:04
I am currently studying from all the recommended study material on the asnt website reference list for the basic exam. Also i have volume 1 and 2 of the NDT handbook writtten by McMaster from 1959. Is this enough of the required information? or should i buy the individual volumes such as LT vol. 1, RT volume.....and so on? The reason i am asking is because the supplement questions come from different references that are not listed on asnt website for the basic exam.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-29-2011 03:27
The handbooks are required reading for the Method examinations.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Level III Basic Exam