Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pinholes On Cap
- - By 583H Date 03-29-2011 22:44
Hello to all. Looking for some help. I have a 2005 200D with 3800 hours on it. I replaced the excitier brushes at 1000 hours. One was wore more than the other. I had no problems during the time up until now. I started getting a few very small pinholes on the egde of my caps. Not on every cap here and there. I am welding 12" and 16" .375 and .500 wall X52. Capping with 3/16 HYP+. THe inspector is pretty easy and has no problems with just peening them shut. Provided they are not to big and that X-ray has no problems. There has been a few I have recapped. My caps are straight and uniform with no slipped ripples. So I do not believe it is my eyes they are working good. You do not see them to try and step back into them. Anyway I replaced the excitier brushes again hoping that maybe was the problem but I guess not. I stoned the main generator and checked the brushes I would say that the brush wear is more than 3/8 but less than a 1/2 from the pigtail. This started before Christmas. I was hoping it may be the rods but I do not believe it is because my partner has not had a problem. He also has a 200D with only 450 hours on it. I hoping maybe sombody may know somthing or maybe Kaye my read this and have some answers. I bought the new excitier and generator brushes from her. Well I am hoping sombody may have a few answers that may have had the same problem with a 200D or just a 200. I posted it here hoping more people will read it here than in the SA-200 section. Looking for some good answers and not that I should have bought a Vantage. Thank you everybody for your time. 583H
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 03-30-2011 00:39
I have the same problem sometimes and i was told to hold the rod perpindicular to the pipe. It helps but i still get them every now and then. Mostly on the side of the pipe. Another thing i was told is to long arc a little. Hope this helps.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-30-2011 02:11
Turn it up 5 or down 5 and stay in bevel let puddle flow out to edges
Parent - By roundydownie (**) Date 03-30-2011 05:09
i worked with a guy in missouri that said he capped in third gear to keep from pin holing and another buddy across the pipe from me in louisiana kept putting band-aids on every cap cause of pin holes and he got new brushes which i didnt think would make a difference at all because they were long enough bought like yours but it fixed it and welded alot better
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pinholes On Cap