Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Welding Lead Ground Cable
- - By Keith Hobill Date 03-30-2011 15:15 Edited 03-31-2011 12:16
Recently OSHA inspected one of job sites and found a ground cable on one of our welding machines that had a small cut with an exposed wire. A citation was issued and we are now attempting to try to defend this citation. We are questioning the hazard itself since the ground clamp or work clamp itself in not insulated. Has any one ran into this before and offer advice as how to address this with OSHA?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2011 16:42
Welcome to the forum Keith..!

Here is the section they gigged you on;

"1910.254(d)(9)(iii)
Cables with damaged insulation or exposed bare conductors shall be replaced. Joining lengths of work and electrode cables shall be done by the use of connecting means specifically intended for the purpose. The connecting means shall have insulation adequate for the service conditions."
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9855

The "work clamp"  (not a ground) should be attached to the work, and in essence becomes a part of it.

Uninsulated sections of work lead can come into contact with just about anything and cause a short.. Cables are flexable and move around quite a bit...  The work cable will carry every bit of power/current that the stinger/electrode lead carries.

Not trying to be flip or disrespectful,,, But what exactly are you trying to defend?    Seems like an issue that could have been repaired on the spot without the hassle of a citation... But I don't see any argument that you could present to prove that with damaged work leads that you were still in compliance either.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-31-2011 02:46 Edited 03-31-2011 02:49
The law is the law, but You are talking about the work lead. The workpiece is not insulated is it???? it is at the same potential and carries the same energy as the work lead.

On the other hand, I understand where the law is coming from. The lead You use as a work lead is a work lead today, but might be used as a stinger lead tomorrow.

I have a bunch of leads of varyous lengths with quick connectors on both ends, and use them as needed to reach the job.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2011 04:58
Than why not just run straight copper on both friggin leads Dave?

Insulation is only necessary because some code guy thought it up I guess.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-01-2011 01:49
I am a firm believer that at least 1 of them shoud be insulated, and if You insulate the stinger, life will be easier.

I satand by the part of My post where I mention that the work is at the same potential [or damn close] to that of the work lead, and is not insulated.

I also stand by the part where I mention that the leads I have might be used on either side on any particular job, So I maintain the insulation on all of them.

Life is easy in a one man shop, untill I have to move something big...
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-31-2011 14:17
I agree Dave,

You never know how the section of lead will be used.

Also, have you NEVER, or EVER, had the work lead arc out at a bare spot while welding somewhere else??  Usually it happens from a bare spot in the electrode lead but not always.  Those spots cause problems from the copper contamination in the steel. 

But as mentioned on down the line here, safety can be compromised by bare spots in the leads.  Even with no moisture on the ground I have received mild shocks when in contact with bare spots and grabbing some other part of the work piece while someone was welding.

Again, it may seem extreme, but there is good reason behind it.  Though I would not want to pay the fine either.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-30-2011 16:55 Edited 03-30-2011 17:03
Keep in mind that "black tape" may or may not be acceptable for restoring the insulation...depends on the composition of the tape. There is some heat shrink that can be used that is acceptable for restoring the insulation, but that requires taking the end off of the cable so you can slide the heat shrink tubing down to where you need it, and then wrapping the ends of the heat shrinking with a water proofing tape to seal it all up. Takes a few minutes to do correctly, but is cheaper than replacing all of that copper.

Well, scratch what I said above...read this "Interpretation" from OSHA's site

Click here to read the actual code
Parent - - By Keith Hobill Date 03-30-2011 17:40
Thanks for your input. Since we are in construction we do repair our cables beyond 10 feet from the cable end or "Stinger Side"  by means of rubber and friction tape or other equivalent insulation. I understand the importance of that, but the ground or work clamp side  it only serves to complete the welding circuit. We do inspect and repair our equipment. I guess Im questioning more the severity of the OSHA citation when it doesnt seem to be a serious violation. There doesnt seem to be much of a hazard on the ground or work clamp side exposed or not.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2011 19:46 Edited 03-30-2011 20:04
If your stinger carries 200 amps your work cable also carries 200 amps...  It is a work cable *NOT* a ground cable.

Again.. Not being mean here but...;
Is it possible your not understanding the function of a work cable?

Let me say it this way...   You could take a regular DC+  SMAW weld setup...     Take the stinger and open it up so it was clamped to the work..  Then put your welding electrode in the work clamp, strike an arc and weld DC-

Both cables must equally comply for insulation safety...
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 03-31-2011 02:10
I was welding some pipe fence and had a cut in the ground cable insulator.. No big deal who cares, its not going to hurt anything.. We are out in a pasture.. Well it arced over to one of the posts and started a little grass fire.. We caught it in time but it can create problems...

Same job same day, my helper picked up my ground lead and was moving it out of his way while I was welding.. The cut was in the middle of a 100ft ground cable.. He reached up and touched the fence as he was walking and Bam it shocked the SH@@@ out of him... We wrapped it in tape right then..lol

The chances of something bad happening are small but it can happen..

RC
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 03-31-2011 06:54
Where's Cactus when you need him, he loves this OSHA stuff.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-15-2011 21:06
I guess its easy for osha to say you have to replace this cable with the 1/4" cut in it when they don't have to fork over the $900 large for new leads. Guess I'm in the right for being an a-hole when it comes to my leads. I can't believe in all of our technology we don't have anything acceptable to repair a lead.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2011 22:13
Hey Shawn, it's actually a conspiracy between cable manufacturers and OSHA. LOL Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2011 10:36
Hahaha!! That would not surprise me! As mechanics we thought there was always something going on between the auto makers, bolt makers and tool companies. Just when you thought you had every tool to work on a car they come out with a new bolt design, remember inverted torx and torx socket.
Parent - - By thermopsummit (*) Date 04-16-2011 11:23
Ive always used what electricians call splicing tape, no sticky on it, you stretch it making wraps, works well
Richard
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2011 12:17
I've found some heavy duty heat shrink out of a place in Florida a year or so ago and used that on my leads and worked really well but reading thru all of osha's mumbo jumbo that is not allowed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Welding Lead Ground Cable