Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D17.1 / AWS B2.1 Procedure Qual. Sample size?
- - By Zeek (**) Date 03-30-2011 15:45
I'm looking to qualifiy 2 different welds in accordance with AWS D17.1. One is a fillet weld on 1/8" material and another is a plug weld on 1/4" material.  AWS D17.1 shows what sample size to use when qualifying welders, but does not reference a sample size when actually qualifying the welding procedure.  It references AWS B2.1, but I have yet to find a copy of that specification.  Does anyone have a copy of AWS B2.1 that shows what those sample sizes need to be?

Thanks
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-30-2011 16:40
Just my opinion here, but if you are attempting to qualify a procedure without B2.1, you're possibly leaving something out.  I would definitely buy a copy, especially if you're going to reference it in your procedure.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2011 16:27
You can't do the work without the tools.

In our case, our tools include the appropriate references. It is all a cost of doing business.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-31-2011 18:13
Zeek do you have some one that does the testing for you or your company. If so contact them and ask what you need for the welding procedure, because you can take one test that covers a wide range metal thickness in AWS D17.1 and save some money.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D17.1 / AWS B2.1 Procedure Qual. Sample size?