Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / air compressor cfm
- - By jacanfora (*) Date 04-02-2011 17:17 Edited 04-02-2011 17:21
What part of an air compressor gives high cfm? Larger tank, pump, motor size? All of the above? I picked up a 30gal quincy pump 1.5hp compressor. Motor sucks and gets very hot. Something in the motor has been protecting it this far... luckily. Gonna pick up a seperate 60gal tank only to attach to my 30gal. Hopeing to get longer run time without compressor kicking on and trying to get a higher, dependable, cfm. Using air arc we need to maintain 7.5cfm and i don't yet understand the time ratio.
   So, will adding a 60gal tank give a higher cfm?  Going from a 30gal to a 90gal? I can always get two 60's.... for 150gal.
Parent - By fpacheco Date 04-02-2011 19:38
Hi,
its possible to use air compressor ( pneumatic press) with one pr- filters and air system purification, for welder process, just for to fusion parts (copper tube)

Regards
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 04-02-2011 19:59
CFM is entirely dependent on the pump/motor.  Doesn't matter what size the tank is.  With a larger tank you will get longer runtime between pump cycles, BUT if your motor isn't designed for continuous duty (and if yours is getting hot, it probably isn't, although Quincy makes some very good stuff), then if you increase the tank size, you may burn out your motor, from running too long to fill it up.

1.5HP cannot supply 7.5CFM.  You'd need a true 3hp or so to get that, and at that, with a continuous draw, you would be running the motor continuously.  A true 5hp would be able to cycle a little bit at 7.5CFM.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-02-2011 22:43
For my two tin pennies worth...

7.5 cfm is not enough to air arc.  Top side of 10 is better.  I'd have to look at my portable compressor but I think it puts out between 12-15cfm with about a 7.5 hp engine.  Works well for air arc as it doesn't have to run all the time.  Especially if I'm not really pushing it.  Let's me keep going for longer periods without running steady.  Just small tank. 

Now, you may be able to run air arc at 7.5 cfm with the air not opened wide open, but if you size your compressor to that then you will still need it to run 100%.  I don't like to push any of my equipment at it's top end for extended periods of time.  Always buy with a safety margin.

As stated by a previous poster, has to do with compressor piston size/ratio and engine size.  Tank size will only let you go longer before the compressor kicks in but will then take longer to fill back up (bring the pressure back up).

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-03-2011 04:30
A true 5HP electric compressor will give 16 or a bit more SCFM running continuously. Engine driven compressors require more HP for the same delivery.

Don't higher amperage air arc holders have larger air holes and require more air to operate properly?
Seems to Me I remember different specifications for different capacity holders.
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 04-03-2011 21:28
K thanks, knew you guys would know. A little disapointed at the moment. Was told I could get 10cfm because of long pistons. I picked it up from a welder, but not off his rig. Got the air arc gun for $40, in great condition. Traded a poulon 18" bar chain saw and $20 for the compressor. Cant complain, still happy with I got. Would rather put money into a new motor since its running hot anyways. Instead of storing and handling a extra 60gal tank. Atleast for now.
Thanks again... will do a test on it to find out what I'm getting out of it. The tank isnt quincy, all I know is it was built in 1965. The pump is quincy and it should be alright because the ones they make today are exactly the same.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-04-2011 02:31
Check the rated SCFM rating, horsepower and pulley sizes [motor and compressor] of the factory built unit with the same "pump".

capacity comes from compressor "pump" displacement and RPM. The manufacturers use the same pump with different HP motors by using a smaller pulley on the motor and turning it slower for the lower HP unit, and using a larger pulley on the higher HP moter for the higher SCFM units.

It is not advisable to run the pump faster than the manufacturer does on the highest output version, as at some point with more speed it will get too hot and wear out too fast.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / air compressor cfm