Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding galvanized steel to P1
- - By azphiks (*) Date 04-04-2011 22:54
The Central Management Team has a problem with us welding zinc-coated(galvanized) uni-strut to structural steel tubing(P1).  "Do we have a procedure?", he asks, knowing full well we don't as our procedures have all been approved by the Owner.  My copy of W59-03(CSA Metal Arc Welding) does not cover this topic, from what I have researched.  Common practice in my experience has been to grind off the zinc then weld it out.  Might have helped our cause if the welder hadn't welded right through the zinc.  Can someone point me in the right direction(ie. CODE), please?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-04-2011 23:24
AZphiks,

Have you checked into using D1.3.  All I have in front of me right now is the D1.3-98.  Specifically Clause 1. General Provisions under 1.2 Sheet Steel Base Metal.

Your uni-strut should be thin enough to qualify for D1.3.  You will have to determine if the work in question fits into this category.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding galvanized steel to P1