Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Trend's Al Moore
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-05-2011 14:21
Hey Al,
:razz:Just wondering how come your Feb/2011 had so many more days than mine did?:eek: It wasn't a leap year as far I knew......:wink:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2011 22:03 Edited 04-05-2011 22:07
I based it on the Irish Leap Year.  :slim:

Since you must have at least breezed through the article, how many typos and errors did you catch? I caught at least one error in the previous articles that I must have missed during my original proof read. It's embarrassing, but that never stopped me in the past. No sense in changing now.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-06-2011 02:16
Can this be read online?

Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-06-2011 08:42
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-06-2011 10:54
Thanks.
Good stuff Al. :cool:

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2011 11:16
BTW, I don't know who that Willie Pazz is, but his picture sure is :twisted:.......LOL
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 04-07-2011 03:45
Just shows your human.
Great article though.

Hey, even the President misspoke on how many states he had visited...57.
That may have hurt more than it helped :lol:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-07-2011 04:06 Edited 04-07-2011 04:12
By the way, how many "bombs" can you find in the test report? :lol:

There are a couple of items that might raise an eyebrow or two. :lol:

Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 04-07-2011 04:53
we will just say you "F"ed up, and leave that number alone :wink:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-07-2011 23:12 Edited 04-08-2011 00:36
Good article in the new IT on testing welders.  Haven't finished it yet.  Hopefully tonight.

There is an editorial mistake in that it says your checklist is on p.29 when it is on p.30.  The sample form is on 29.  Now watch, I probably messed up since I haven't looked at it since last night. 

Thanks for all your time putting so many articles together lately.  They'll have to make you a full time contributor.  With PAY?? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By fsirk (*) Date 05-27-2012 04:19
Excellent series of articles.  Thank you Al. 
I have a couple of questions regarding prequalified welding procedures. 
The first question is about the method of back gouging.  I know from the joint detail (B-U4b-GF) that it requires back gouging but I can't find any info on required method.
My second question is regarding specifying stringer or weave bead.  Again, where do I find this info to include in the wps?
Thank you.
-Kris
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-27-2012 23:50
Occassionally one method will provide better results than another.  But as to the "required method"...there is not one per the code.  At least, as long as you are talking about D1.1.  The options according to 5.15.2 are machining, thermal cutting, gouging (including plasma), chipping, or grinding.  Generally you are free to use whatever is at hand and will perform the best given the position, space restrictions, material thickness, etc. 

Generally the specifying of stringer or weave beads is not a major consideration.  Where it becomes an issue is when the materials or code bring heat into consideration.  A weave pass will add heat at a much faster rate.  The only reference I can think of is in Table 4.6. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fsirk (*) Date 05-28-2012 04:27
Brent,
Thank you very much.  I have seen prequalified wps's with the back gouging method called out and was having a heck of a time finding where it was spelled out in the code.  So when we produce a written prequalified wps is it a must to include the method of back gouging?  And the same with specifying whether a welder uses a stringer or weave bead?
Thanks for everyone's help.  I really appreciate it.
-Kris
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-28-2012 06:51
D1.8 clause 6.7 is pretty specific about backer bars and backgouging.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2012 13:12 Edited 05-28-2012 21:15
You have read it before in several posts, but here it is again; codes list the minimum mandatory requirements. It is the manufacturer's/contractor's responsibility to take those steps necessary to ensure the construction of a structure is sound and safe and will perform as intended. To that end, in the case of back gouging, when it makes a difference, it is incumbent upon the manufacturer/contractor to address the means and methods in the WPS.

A good example of where the means and methods is restricted is in the case of quenched and tempered steel. AWS D1.1-2010, clause 5.15.2 restricts the use of oxygen gouging when working with Q&T steels.

Other conditions that may impact the serviceability of the welded structure must be considered as well. ASME construction codes and AWS structural welding codes do not address corrosion. It is the designer's responsibility to consider corrosion, corrosion rates, abatement, and prevention.

If toughness is a concern, heat input can be used to control cooling rates to mitigate the potential for grain coarsening in the HAZ. Issues relating to notch toughness are usually considered as "supplemental" to the normal requirements. That is, parameters that have an effect on notch toughness are applicable in addition to the normal requirements only when notch toughness is involved. 

I am happy to see people are still reading the back issues of IT.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By fsirk (*) Date 05-28-2012 20:31
"I am happy to see people are still reading the back issues of IT."

Yes, in fact, if anyone has any back issues of IT that they'd like to unload, I'd gladly volunteer to put them to good use.  :wink:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-29-2012 00:07
Without any info available on your profile it is difficult to tell if you happen to be a CWI.  If you are, they are available for you to view on the AWS Website.  If not, good luck.  I keep all mine.  They are excellent references...Especially Al's articles.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Trend's Al Moore