Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 10 Worst jobs
- - By bruce69 (*) Date 04-09-2011 02:50
Check out this list.   http://www.jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/01/05/top-10-worst-jobs-of-2011/   
I was once numbers 2 and 7 at the same time.  Thank God those days are behind me.
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 04-09-2011 10:25
WOW $16.48 average pay???? Some guys must weld for next to nothing.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-09-2011 13:47
Don't know where they come up with their numbers for this. If they are including pumpers in meter readers, the numbers are way off.
Looks to me from reading all the categories, that they just went to city hall and an industrial district in some arbitrary big city.
Oh wait, it's an Obamanized study! All numbers project estimated jobs created from the stimulus, after prorating welfare supplements!
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 04-09-2011 18:32
I welded for 15.00 an hour... in 1982!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-09-2011 19:30
Yeah, then we started working for ourselves and just end up paying everybody else including the govt so we can say we are self employed and don't make a dime.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-09-2011 13:39
Some one should post a list of the top 10 STUPIDEST jobs and at the top of the list should be creating worst job list.:twisted:
Parent - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 04-09-2011 19:09
F'n retard, but whatever I would rather them think that so they don't ask so many questions.
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-10-2011 01:11
you should have made $26.55 an hour then... . . . .
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2011 03:31
Where do they get this stuff from? Ironworker?? I know several Ironworkers, seems like the paycheck at the end of the week keeps them pretty happy. Good excercise everyday! Meter reader? How is this a "worst job"? The guy that reads my meter seems pretty happy, has a nice size place with large acreage and what can you say, does not strain himself during his day that's for sure.

When they said worst jobs I was thinking about the guy who comes out to pump out the septic tank, the plumber who has to repair broken poop pipes or grease traps in restaurants or the porta john cleaning guys. I guess if you sit behind a desk writing stories and the worst injury you get is a paper cut and your idea of straining yourself is the day after a all night bender at the mexican restaurant and the results that follow in the mens room, then ok, I guess these could be the top 10 worst jobs.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 04-10-2011 18:12
I think the porta-john man make a lot more than most people think. I have been watching over the past few years and I have yet to see one that has a truck older than 2 years. I don't know what it pays but, most of them have smiles on there faces and nice new setups. Who knows, Maybe we're the ones with sh!tty jobs.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2011 01:06 Edited 04-11-2011 01:13
My cousin married a honey dipper, it has been a family busness since 1928. Their boys don't want to go that rout. They have both worked on the honey truck when they were desperate for money, but they don't like it.

The problem in this field is that it is becoming expensive to offload the poop at the sewer plant, and You do NOT want to get caught dumping it elswhare.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 04-10-2011 15:30
Ya I work for 17 bucks an hour.  That's a joke.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 04-10-2011 20:58
Here's their 10 "best" jobs:
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/01/05/top-10-best-jobs-of-2011/

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2011 01:10
At least 1/2 of the jobs on that list will be done by someone in India for 1/4 the pay in less than a decade...
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 04-11-2011 04:39
My sister is a biologist.  She always did excellent in school.  She earned a Master's degree and now has over 25 years experience.  She has been broke her entire career. 

Welding has been very good to me.

Every field is what you make of it.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 04-11-2011 16:09
The reason reason most of those jobs are classified as the worst jobs, is because it takes a man to do them and most " males " today are not men, want to play video games instead of work in the oilfeild. I didnt see any of those jobs that i  wouldnt do any day of the week
Parent - By tim105 (**) Date 04-14-2011 04:24
I never finished high school, but did get my ged in the middle of 9th grade. In the last five years, I have made over a million uneducated dollars and I'm just as happy if not happier than the educated folk.
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 04-10-2011 05:25
the job that i have now; started as the best job i ever had (and it is in my home town) but the boss left and his replacement made it one of the worst jobs that i have ever had. and in this economy i have had a hard time finding something else.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2011 11:56
I've been there grizzly! Start working someplace and job boss is the best in the world then a few months later they move him into another position and put some world class d___head in there!! Guess that's why I'm self employed, boss now is always an a-hole.....
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 04-10-2011 19:56
I have to agree when your self employed the boss is a real prick:twisted:
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-11-2011 17:30
One thing for sure, If I had to take any one of those top 10 jobs I would be hurting my self real bad wage wise. I sure hope they are classifying them by starting salaries.
- - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 04-11-2011 18:41
It really pisses me off how real work is looked down on nowadays. Any type of working with your hands is for the uneducated. My ex wife is a nurse and asked me if it bothered me that she had more education than me. This woman couldn't figure out the damn pump on a fish tank and thinks I worried about 4 years of ******** her parents paid for? I am 35 years old, been doing construction since I was 14, I can count on two hands how many young people I have met that do trades because they want to. You see a lot of bosses sons and half ass helpers who get booted the first time they have to piss in a cup. Hard work is not respected or something most young people want to do. There is a whole new lefty "diy" attitude about growing gardens and having chickens in your back yard and they act like it is some new miracle way of life. Ive owned my own shop for 9 years this summer and have made way more than any of the people I went to collage or high school with.

I always find it funny how many people look down on average wages, in my area-Nashville TN, $17.00 an hour is not too bad for welding for an employer. You can get more, but its going to be short lived and you'll be hunting a job in a few months.http://www.ironworkers492.org/sub/wage_rates   Even the union guys dont pull much more than non union.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2011 20:28
Eric Carroll

Thank You

I been biting my tongue, and am glad I did, you said it much better than I was.

Have a Good Day

Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 10 Worst jobs