Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Texas Speed Limit
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2011 12:02
You Texans sure are in a hurry!! Don't know if I'd want to run 85 constant in my rig, probably blow the tires out not to mention forking over more money to Obama's buddies in the middle east. I like the line in the video where they say, they already drive 85 why not make it legal. So speed limit is 75, everybody always thinks, you can go 10 over right. So at 85 and we're thinking 10 over that means now 95 is ok! With people and their text messaging fetishes while driving seems a bit scary to me.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/texas-speed-limit-raised-is-it-safe-24835691
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-10-2011 16:56
I live out here in west Texas where the speed limit on IH 10 is 80. It's one of the deadliest stretches of road in the nation. When you have a wreck running 90 plus, it can be real bad. Most drive at least 10 over the limit and have a tiny car that we end up using the jaws of life on to get them out.
Parent - By pocket change (**) Date 04-11-2011 00:36
I didnt think there was a speed limit in west texas:lol: I was passed by a lady today texting running over 80mph (thats what i was running) in a no passing zone. pulled up right beside her at the red light. I think they should not have split speed limits i see more wrecks by people running 70. then come up behind a big truck running 60 and then yank the wheel over in the other lane.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-11-2011 01:34
Trucks & tires have come a long way since I was a kid. My Dad got a '67 D-200 Power Wagon with a utility body brand new for His work truck [replaced a '50 Ford]. That truck full of tools was 7000#, and had drum brakes all around. I think it would have taken a quarter mile to stop it from 85, if anybody would have been stupid enough to go that fast in it.

When I was 18 I had a '69 GTO with drum brakes. I regularly drove it 120 MPH on secondary roads [stupid kid]. The brakes would fade immediatly at that speed, it took more distance from 120 to 0 than from 0 to 120.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Texas Speed Limit