Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Looking for asme prequalified gtaw 2''
- - By Stringer (***) Date 04-10-2011 18:01
I'd like to qualify a student to a 2" sch 80 pipe procedure. I know AWS D1.1 has no prequalified GTAW and the pipe is A106 so I can't use D1.6. If there is a prequalified open root, with 7018 fill and cap with a bent strap destructive test, then can someone tell me which exact book I'm looking for?
Stringer
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-11-2011 01:14
I'm unclear.. 

Your headline says your looking for GTAW 2"

The post of your text asks for SMAW

Nothing in ASME is prequalified

Nothin in AWS is prequalified when it is open root.

There are AWS  SWPS that may or may not fit what your looking for.

Or you could become involved in the AWS SENSE program... The advanced level curriculum comes complete with some pipe WPS's...  They will not qualify for production but they will provide verification of your student work.

But in the long run... How does an instructor "Qualify" a student?     Only a contractor/manufacturer's engineering authority can qualify welders for production...  You can certainly observe, inspect and generate a report form with your signature that will validate student achievement.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 04-11-2011 01:42 Edited 04-11-2011 01:50
Well, I've misspoken on some of this and I should have proofed my request a little better. I was trying to be brief. The student would like to qualify to some unspecified GTAW procedure. Materials and testing are limited. Generally the students are performing the usual D1.1 plate tests with SMAW. This student is open to whatever we can manage for a test, but we can't budget for radiographic examination or ultrasonic examination so I'm trying to find a GTAW test procedure where visual and specimen bending are the specified method. You're quite right to point out the open root not prequalified in D1.1. I was referring to the fact that it's an approved process, but not pre-qualified so we can't use that avenue. I think (since we happen to have some 2" pipe) we may find what we need in ASME. I would like to know which book to buy. Seems like they separate the power generation from the petrochemical. Their list of products is confusing me just a bit and they are expensive so I'd like to know which book would be most appropriate for unfired pressure vessel and petrochemical code for the testing of qualifying welders.
Yes, it's true there is no path to production here. But I am trying to find valid procedures that will be relevant as possible.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-11-2011 04:37
If your heart is set on pipe... Your going to have to put out cash for PQR's or SWPS

On the other hand... AWS D1.9 Sheet metal code has PQR's that can be accomplished by visual, fillet break/Macros and wrap around bends....  Definatly doable... And the code book is not super pricy.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-19-2011 13:18
Looks like you need a performance qualification to ASME IX.  You will need a procedure, which you can make on your own, or pay someone to make one up, or as stated above, buy a SWPS.  If you have some industry partners, they may have a WPS you can use, especially if your student is in a co-op deal.  You don't have to use the lated version of the code if you have a pre-existing procedure.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-11-2011 17:39
Follow ASME Section IX, write up a WPS for GTAW 2" pipe, if you have machining capabilities, machine the 2ea tensile pull specimens, send those out to a lab for testing, perform your own 4 bend tests and with your results write up a PQR to test your welders to.  You can probably get the tensile pulls for $250.

QCRobert
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-11-2011 17:49
****Great Post
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Looking for asme prequalified gtaw 2''