Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Most Famous Inspector?
- - By mbrush (*) Date 04-11-2011 19:48
Ran across this on the Internet today...

The original Kilroy of "Kilroy Was Here" fame was a shipyard rivet inspector and left his doodle in the tight spots on the ships he inspected during WWII. G.I.s that found the doodle started spreading it across Europe and the U.S. when they returned from their tours...

http://books.google.com/books?id=1b27CQlUsoAC&pg=PA69&dq=%22Kilroy+was+here%22&hl=en&ei=rbWBTeqNJa6x0QHn5b3FCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=%22James%20J.%20Kilroy%22&f=true
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-12-2011 03:48
Now, the way I heard the story, is that Mr. Kilroy was an inspector at Bath Iron Works In Maine, inspecting Landing craft.  He was accused of not performing all the inspection work he claimed he was, so, he reportedly started marking them off with the now famous "Kilroy was here" logo.  On bigger ships the ordinary soldiers would not be visiting the tight spaces, so how would so many be exposed that memorable logo???? .  The way the story is told up there in Maine, is that it was on the inside rails on the landing craft, and that was often the last thing the soldiers read before they died in the D-Day landing.  Those that survived the landing and went inland carried the saying with them, and the legend grew.

I do not know what the facts are, but it sure makes a great story!!!

Joe Kane
Parent - - By mbrush (*) Date 04-12-2011 18:16
It HAS to be true, Joe - I read it on the Internet!! :wink:
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-12-2011 19:17
LOL...great answer!:lol:
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-12-2011 16:43
I did a bit of this stuff myself.  In ships and submarines too numerous to remember, in tanks, freefloods, voids, and out of the way places, there are variations of my own signatures.  Probably all chopped up now, except a few in the Tridents and carriers.  I have signed everything from cosmetic trim to valves with "Bozak was here."  I can't take credit for the name; it came from two other people who I knew, one of whom is probably still active duty.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-12-2011 22:09
Mssrs. Mbush, Bozak, & Wright

As chairman of the Dalton E Hamilton CWI of the Year Award, I can positively tell you that the worlds greatest welding inspector is Mr. Gloss Paint.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-13-2011 12:43
"the worlds greatest welding inspector is Mr. Gloss Paint."-quote

No joke...it's hard to hide anything from that guy....LOL
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-13-2011 13:00
And God saw that it was good... was He the first and best VT inspector ever recorded?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-14-2011 17:11
Awesome.  And how true.  But the second?  Mr. Cut Here.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-14-2011 19:08
I had it spelled Mr. C. U. Titout.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-15-2011 01:27
Ever met Will Dikum? He works for Stu Padasso. Stu works in the finance department for the law firm of Dewey, Cheetam & Howe.

jrw159
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Most Famous Inspector?