Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2007 Chevy Truck
- - By DHPatton (*) Date 04-11-2011 23:31
Just wondering what you guys out there that are driving a Chevrolet Dually on the ride away are doing about ground clearence. I would like to know what you guys have done with yours.

Anyone snickering at the time please do not turn this post into a chance to rag on my truck, it is paid for and I don't really want to buy another one..just yet.
1. Are you going with a lift kit?
     a. if so how many inches and how many inches did it actually get you not what is advertised?
     b. if so which kit did you buy and are you satisfied?
2. Would it be better to do a suspension lift?
     a. if so which maker do you like and how many inches did you lift it?
3. Have any of you tried a 2 inch suspension lift and then on top of that do a lift on the cab and then go with bigger tires?

From my understanding it seems you can lift the front end by push the front "axle" down, even though it is not a solid axle like Dodge and Ford, and then you can raise the cab off the frame???, and then this would allow you to get bigger tires??, which would give you more ground clearance??Sorry for the kindergarden theory I am no mechanic nor a mud bug I am just tired of getting stuck on the ride-of-way.

Also any modifications pictures to your Chevrolets would be greatly appreaciated.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-12-2011 01:50
My last three trucks have been chevy duramaxes. I have lifted all of them differently. First truck I only bagged in rear. Wasn't much clearance. The second truck I cranked torsion bars and and put bigger tires on it. This was an 05 and and 06. My last truck, which is an 08, I changed out the keys and increased tire size. Much better ride than cranking the keys!
I also air bagged the rear. My third choice was much better all around. Keys are only about 100 bucks, plus the airbags.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 04-12-2011 14:02
Well are you looking for ground clearence or suspension clearance, if you want ground clearance you have to do a suspension lift with bigger tires, if you want more clearance between the fenders say, and the tires do timberens or air bags, on the front you can raise by adjusting the torson bars or putting torson bar leveling clips in, but if you go to much you will explode the ball joints. Timberen does make overloads for the front. Of course if you do the overloads or airbags you might get enough more clearance for a bigger tire, to give you a little more ground clearance.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2007 Chevy Truck