Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is grinding dust considered hazmat?
- - By sander Date 10-27-2002 02:20
I'm hoping to set up a small welding shop for sculpture and am trying to clear environmental hurdles. One concerns disposal of materials considered "hazardous". I think that grinding dust would fall into that category IF it contains heavy metals, which I suspect that many stainless steels do. But if I stay clear of stainless (as I plan), does anyone know whether regular mild steel, aluminum, or (possibly) bronze grinding dust might be considered hazardous / contain any heavy metals? What about sandblaster sand?

I've been looking at the govt. site (here in California) but it's pretty confusing...

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

- Sander

p.s cross-posted this to the technical board--hope that's ok on this site..
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 10-28-2002 20:00
It may help for you to examine closely the MSDS's for the materials you will be working with. That includes base metals, filler metals, grinding wheels, etc. Section VII of an MSDS can help you determine proper handling of the materials.
The MSDS will also help you determine the extent of your respiratory program, whether it will be mandatory or voluntary.
Hope this is of some help.
Ziggy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is grinding dust considered hazmat?