Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Houston Fab Shops
- - By noremac (*) Date 04-14-2011 08:36
Hey yal, im new to the Houston area and im trying to get some knowledge on the local fab/welding shops. Can anyone name some bigger companies that I should be forwding a resume to? and what can I expect to be making hrly down here in a shop? Also how is the general work outlook, is there plenty happening? Thanks
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-14-2011 11:36
Houston is tough as far as fab shops are concerned. There are plenty of them but unless you have some exotic alloy experience, or special skills they will generally be fairly low wage high productivity shops. Think of your demographic.
Many of what I would call the carbon steel shops pay 10/12 $ an hour. The  welders are generally one process guys either FCAW or GMAW and blow and go all day long. There are exceptions but even in the biggest welding market in the country it can be hard to find.
Parent - - By junkiron (**) Date 04-15-2011 02:58
damn thats low, last time i made 10 Hr was in 97 as a welders helper
Parent - - By noremac (*) Date 04-15-2011 04:49
Thats a little disapointing to hear..what are people doing to earn decent money then.? I know people are making good money down here welding, whats the best avenue to go?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-15-2011 04:58
Fab Shops in Houston will require you to speak Fluent Spanish and you need a Work Visa. They also expect you to disappear every few months to head "South of the Border"
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-15-2011 05:08
When was there ever decent money in fab shop work, unless you are piece - rate and/or subcontracting? As was mentioned earlier, if you are highly skilled and qualified in procedure that a particular shop is looking for, then you have a bargaining chip. Go out Hwy 225? along the Ship Channel and look for the crane booms over a plant. Is "The Barn" bar still open in Deer Park? If so, that was the best networking place I've ever seen. Buy a couple cold beers for the right person, and you'll have enough leads to keep you testing for a month.
Parent - - By junkiron (**) Date 04-16-2011 03:24
you make decent money working in the plants but you must weld tig and stick. but if you really want to work in a shop try boccard at 610 and old galveston,
Parent - - By noremac (*) Date 04-17-2011 10:03
Ive got all the processes down with about 10yrs industry experience covering pretty much everything. Although one thing I really do need more practice with is small diameter Pipe Welding, just really trying to scout it out for now and see what everyone else is doing work wise.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-19-2011 13:10
Any part of houston in particular.  Im in tech sales and I have been to about a jillion shops in the metro area
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-19-2011 17:36 Edited 04-19-2011 17:40
Not a Fab Shop, but!

Do you have any experience with work involving precision measurements and hand shaping (Benching) with (Carbide burrs, power files, and abrasives). Fine welding (GTAW  .045 to 1/16” wire) (INCO 82 or 410 SS) and hand benching to original contour?

Can you travel (extensively)(internationally)? On short notice (24 hours, sometimes less)?

Can you work from a drawing?
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 04-19-2011 17:53
Sounds like aviation to me.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-19-2011 21:10
Steam Turbine
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Houston Fab Shops