Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding repair class
- - By David Edwards (*) Date 04-15-2011 00:42
Is anyone aware of a welding repair class anywhere? a "real world" this is what you will run into in the field, strutural or agriculttural repairs, etc. and how to repair them.  Somewhere in Iowa would be great
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 04-15-2011 02:08
We have a Blacksmith Association here in Nebraska. A couple times a year they get together at the local Tech College and talk about that sort of thing. You could google and see if there is something similar over there in Iowegia.:lol:
Parent - By David Edwards (*) Date 04-15-2011 03:09
And I thought we husked alot of corn!:lol::lol: thanks guys
- - By Francisford (**) Date 04-20-2011 16:37
Why dont you go and get you a real welding job and learn as you go.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 04-20-2011 18:06
Why? Because employers want someone who is 20-30 years old with 20-30 years experience in repair welding. The shops willing to bring on a newbie is slim to none.
If the predictors are right; in 10 years, half the repair welders and line welders will be retired. Then there will be a scramble to get the newbies.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 05-05-2011 01:38 Edited 05-05-2011 01:53
Depends on the employer, I guess.  We just hired a kid with no cutting/welding/fab experience to do clean up.  We've got him practicing torch cutting on cutting up scrap that doesn't fit into the scrap bin as is, which is good experience for him.  He came up to me and commented "Torch cutting is neat!"  Hopefully we can get him welding/practicing welding on easy stuff within the next few weeks.  The guy swept the yard (!) and it had never been as clean as it now is since before I started working for the company.  It says a lot about gumption.

A lot of the time, if you are willing to work when you are needed to work (weekends, afternoons, days, nights, 4 days, 5 days, 10 days, 7 days, 3 days, 2 days, 12 hour days, 10 hour days, 8 hour days, 14 hour days [mill has to run come monday!], etc....), you will have a good chance at being hired, regardless of experience.  There are generally jobs for any experience level and a willingness to learn/endure is always a plus.  You might look into taking a welding course to give you the basics, but I wouldn't rely on it for much more than that.  Gouging/cutting and putting objects back together is a lot different then welding a single bevel with a backing strip out and gouging said backing strip off in the flat.  If you can't fit, don't even dream of pressure welding.  Start from point A and work towards point X.  My two cents.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding repair class