Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I bought American today!
- - By strother (***) Date 04-16-2011 00:49 Edited 04-17-2011 03:13
I went in the local hardware store today to get a new 4' level. I told the guy who works there and is also the owner " I need a good 4' level" . He told me if I  wanted a really good level and could get by with a 3'  he had an American Level ( American is the brand name) . It looked good, a little pricey ( $65.00) but this guy usually  knows what he's talking about so I bought it . When I got to the counter he said I wonder if this " American Level " is still made in America . Sure enough made in Oklahoma. I was so proud of myself . I shopped at home, supported another small business and bought American. It's a shame you can't do that everyday.
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 04-16-2011 01:02
I just had my oil changed today by a buddy of mine and he showed me a 15w-40 synthetic that is made in Tulsa Oklahoma and is cheaper than Rotella.  Going to try it out for a while and see how it does.  Already like the price and the fact that its made just a few hours away!
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-18-2011 23:01
Rotella is a Shell brand of oil. Isn't it made in the USA by Shell?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-16-2011 02:18
I ALMOST did it too ! There were these two Hookers standing on a Corner in Deep Ellum in Dallas and I...................................Awww Nevermind,
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 04-16-2011 02:39
Two at one time- does that mean you get a 2 for 1 discount?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-16-2011 02:46 Edited 04-16-2011 03:13
I tried. I thought they were running a special. I just thought I would do my part to stimulate the local economy.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 04-16-2011 04:05
Lmao
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-16-2011 08:56
Cactusthewelder

This is how the gov't stimulus works

It is a slow day in the small Colorado town of Pumphandle and streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves.

No one produced anything.

No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future
with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a "stimulus package" works.

Have a Good Day
Marshall
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-16-2011 09:01
Marshall,
Run for president next year. You've got my vote.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2011 10:38
LMAO!!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2011 12:24
Makes ya feel good to actually find something made in America anymore! Went to Lowe's to check out levels and they had ton's of Bostitch levels, all said, "made in China", decided I didn't need a level that bad, especially for a $70 Chinese made one(48"). Low and behold a few slots down was a company called Mayes, wood level, 48" with and accuracy of .001". Not the .0005" Bostitch claimed but the Mayes was around $30 and made in U.S.A, they got my money. Even if the Mayes was $70 I would have bought it for the sole reason that it was made here. Also found some Plano plastic storage boxes for bolts, etc., also made in the USA unlike the stanley product which was 3 times the cost, made in China.

Here's another place I found on the web, Veteran owned, made in the USA levels,

http://www.portaustinlevelandtool.com/index.html

I need a good 24" level and another bullet level, be placing an order with them before long.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-16-2011 18:01
Anyone know of some good Forged "breaker bars/wrecking bars/Pry bars" that are 100% American made??   The only ones I have found so far are Kleins (pretty pricey).  The crap I find in the hardware places are all imported and they snap when you lean on em.  Even the LWS is selling nothing but Chinese bars.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-16-2011 19:06
Go with a Klien. I THINK Proto's are also made in the USA. They are very good bars as well
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 04-16-2011 19:58
Thought Mayhew suppose to still be made in USA ?

http://www.mayhew.com/about.php

Don't know what brand these are say made in USA.

http://www.easternrigging.com/prybar.htm

Older railroad bars and tool are usually really good.

http://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.com/catalog/index.asp

Hard to know where it really comes from today for sure there is no accountability on any of it.  A guy know went to Mexico visiting relatives said they were working in factories there putting made in USA or America on stuff that parts came out of boxes from other countries now that is a bunch of crap !
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-17-2011 02:39
KLEIN! I've never seen one break. Even when the Ironworkers weld a washer to them (keep from sliding through the ring on their belts) and use a cheater pipe on them. Some tools are worth the extra bucks.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 04-17-2011 20:53
I my Klein 36" bar about 3yrs.ago.Took it back to LWS.& they replaced it instantly,no questions asked.Had that first bar about 17 yrs.OTC Jimmy bars are supposed to be pretty good dont know where they are made though.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-18-2011 00:46
found this on the front page of the Mayhew site  

Guess not
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 04-19-2011 16:34
Like I said with the mehico junk you would have to see it come out of the hot forge on US soil to believe the liars at most companies today.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-17-2011 17:17
I got some proto I bought around '95, but made in USA these days I could not tell ya
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-18-2011 01:41
This isthe Bar I have in my Box. It extends from 3' to 5' and the Spoon will adjust as well. I think they are made in the US. It is a GREAT Pry Bar though !

http://gearwrench.com/new_products/
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-18-2011 02:27
That's a pretty slick prybar there!
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 04-19-2011 00:06
I've got a 30" OTC bar. It's survived through two IW's before I received it. Asfar as I know their still made in the USA.
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2011 01:18
Actually loaded mine up for this job yesterday and discovered the two I have are otc.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-19-2011 01:52
Sk, which owns gear wrench went bankrupt earlier this year according to my local supplier. I have not checked into it but I sure don't see many gear wrench tools any more.
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 04-19-2011 21:34
I couldn't find the topic that discussed welding clothing made in USA, but here is a copy of an email I recieved from LAPCO the other day. Not made here anymore.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
Sent: April 15, 2011 8:03 PM
To: Micah Triche
Subject: Message from LAPCO - Louisiana Apparel Company

Email: parsonswelding@cox.net

------------------------------------------------------

Where are your welding shirts made?

Thanks, Chris

------------------------------------------------------

Chris,

Our welders shirts are currently made in Mexico.

Thanks

Micah Triche

LAPCO Mfg., Inc.
98 Glenwood St.
Morgan City La,  70380
985-385-5380
Mobile: 985-759-2304
Fax 985-385-9944
mtriche@lapco.com
www.lapcomfg.com
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-21-2011 10:12
One of my Lapco's says Malaysia or Taiwan and the other says someplace else, maybe Mexico but not for sure. Just know it's not here.
Parent - By devo (***) Date 04-25-2011 13:18
What do you do when the US made stuff is inferior to the foreign made??  Case in point...as I was scraping ice off of my wife's windshield this winter, the plastic scraper blade broke.  I wasn't going ape s**t on the ice or anything, just normal amount of effort scraping the ice off.  This US made scraper was less than two months old.  The overseas model I use on my truck is going strong after two years.  So what do you do when buying american means buying the inferior product?? Granted, it's just an ice scraper, but I've faced this same dilemma with other products. To be honest, I'd just as soon buy German(Metabo, Bessey, until last year #1 exporter in the world) or other European made goods.  My Lincoln Electric Tig machine is made in Italy, as well as the best hiking boots (Fabiano) I've ever worn, lasted over ten years of daily abuse.  And as much as I hate to admit it, the Grizzly portable band saw (portaband clone) that I bought five years ago is the best $140 I've ever spent on a shop tool.  Then again, when I bought a QCTP for my US made Logan Lathe, I sucked it up and bought the Aloris, not the Asian knockoff.  Sure the knockoff is 500% cheaper, but it still sucks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I bought American today!