Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1st Job with new rig
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-16-2011 17:37
Paint was not even dry on my bed, had not even hung my work lights but I had to roll on this one.   700ft of 24 inch casing and the client demanded a "certified welder".  Thanks to the two shops that recommended me for it.  Really want to thank Steve Williams CWI/CWE at Pulaski Tech for setting up a test for me on very short notice!!!:grin:   It went well except for all the storms on Thursday nite,  that hole had water pouring out the top Friday morning and it was COLD!  Found out my grinders handle mud pretty well but I will have to break em down and clean them up.  Only got shocked twice, pretty lucky considering how wet it was.  Got a crawdad in my pants leg once,  I was doing a pretty good jig down there shaking him out!:lol:  Anyway the new truck handled it well, the ole Hobart was solid as a rock and burned good...but she ate about $35 bux in fuel everyday:mad:.    

Who is that handsome devil standing in front of the hole???

I had a good time on it, got to go back Monday and finish the last 60 feet.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-16-2011 20:43
Congrats on your first job !!!  Conditions like that are more common than people realize. No Big Deal. Adapt and Overcome. Collect a check ! Now for the other side. Be Careful, There are Welders (on this forum) that will B*TCH, Bellyache, Moan, Groan and Complain and then they will call OSHA on you for working in Wet Conditions. Good Luck and Keep your Gloves dry !
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-17-2011 02:26
Cactus I was hanging gloves on the radiator grill of the Hobart to dry em out...I carried a few pairs out there cause of that.  OSHA?   Well let me introduce those folks into some barge welders I know running rods fat as my dang arm!!  Adapt and Overcome....well is not that the definition of a rig welder?  Thanks for the well wishes...so far so good ...but I want my phone ringing off the hook before I am ok with it.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2011 21:37
Nice work Tommy! Looks like you needed your swim trunks!
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 04-16-2011 21:40
Or a snorkel.:eek: Way to go Tommy!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 04-17-2011 00:20
Hey Tommy sorry the aerospace work took a dump but any body can weld .010 Ti under a microscope! Now stop by the pharmacy on the way to the job and pick up a box of latex gloves and wear them under the weld gloves. Nah they ain't approved but they'll keep ya from getting the snot shocked out of ya. Also make up at least two mud boards and keep them on board. Ted:cool:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-17-2011 02:35
Good advice Ted.....I wish I would have stopped at the Scuba store and got some long dry socks!!!!  The worst part was my feet everyday, my Rockys are watertight but only duck waders would have kept me dry in that hole.   Your right anyone can tig razor blades together!!!   Bah!  I love rig welding and always have.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 04-17-2011 04:40
Been there done that they need a bigger pump or weld that all together dig a longer tail ditch drain it off of u but at least u had fun
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-18-2011 01:08
I guess mud washes off easier than grease, so count the small blessings. Glad to hear You got some work for Your rig.
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-17-2011 00:10
Wasn't there some young up and commer asking about underwater welding on the forum a few months ago?  Well............how ya like those apples son?  BTW- your contractor needs a bigger pump bro.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-17-2011 05:17
ahhh this is the ole man that I've been talking to over the phone, know wonder you know so much, gotta love them ole guys they know there sh*t :lol:

Nice pictures dude, stay safe out there, heading up to Jackson Ms in the morning for a new job and if I'm ever passing through Arkansas I'll give ya a call. This will probably be the last time I'll be online tonight for a while.

Chris
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-17-2011 13:43
Good luck Chris! Make sure when you get back you post pics of the cool places you get to see
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-17-2011 15:51
I'm gonna have to buy me a camera for along the way but I sure will, headed now out the door
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-18-2011 00:58
ole man?  ole guys?    hmmmmm  guess you meant ole'    nope I never been to bull fight of that sort.

Good luck on your new gig there Chris, keep the shiny side up and the axles between the ditch.

Johnny they were kind of stuck with that setup....there was a big slew and creek on the other side of my truck + there were "land issues".   I agree on the pump....they burned that little one up, the big one was working the other end.  My pump ended up being the trackhoe bucket.  No big deal....like Mom always said "a little dirt don't hurt".   I am done with this Monday, got a little bit of fab work to do after that...I am hunting up more if anyone got something goin on...large or small I do not care.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 04-18-2011 11:49
Ain't seen your rig yet saw bed kinda in one of them pics
Parent - - By Caleb C. (**) Date 04-18-2011 14:09
X2, let's see the new rig as well.

Caleb
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 04-18-2011 20:02
Exactly that's like showing a naked chick from the neck up! lol :twisted:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2011 03:24 Edited 04-19-2011 03:27
well this chick might be better off covered up!!!   It is one ugly rig  (but it is all paid for!!!!)....I just went cheap and fast and did a basic flatbed...figure I will sell the bed later when I got time to build what I want.  The only pics I have right at the moment are at night after the last weld.  It ain't near done just barely ready to roll.

WHO NEEDS MUDFLAPS!!!   those boxes should keep the water off the tires

I wanted a bed that could handle a 2-3 yard bucket without any issue.....I think I made that happen.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 04-20-2011 01:44 Edited 04-20-2011 01:47
All you need now is a bilge pump!  :lol:

However, all things considered, you were wearing your happy hat!  :grin:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-20-2011 05:33
Mat I am trying hard to change my image, normally I wear skulls+flames etc.  Everyone says I am tooooo serious or hard to take or intimidating (wtf) .....so I figure If I have sunshine on my skull it will project puppies and happiness.   Is it working?   I really did enjoy myself the driller was  hoot to be around and just in general good people. It was a great job despite the mud, the crawdads, the dang water etc.   I was working with hard working good down home people and that is what made for a good time and great gig!!!   :lol:
Parent - By KFab (**) Date 04-22-2011 15:46
really save your self the hassel iv been stoped over a dozen times last year.. for mud flaps.  driving from fort worth i saw a cop fly across the grass and drive like a mad man to catch  me. i thought my machine fell of my truck or i ran somone over.  Oh mud flaps he said and a cititation.  good luck
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 04-20-2011 04:07
You could still haul a cord or two of wood on that bed !!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-20-2011 05:15 Edited 04-20-2011 05:40
Thx Johnny    Yea I needed some room for buckets.   Turned the channel out so I could strap however I wanted to.   I will post some decent pics when I get er loaded out.  I just bought some 500 watt lights for the headache rack, gonna put some 100 watt 12v up there for rollup backup.  I have been looking at some thin lights to put on each side of the welder to light up the floor of the bed for xtra work lights.   You showup with that much space on the back and everyone wants to use your truck for a table you know.   I know she rides smooth as hell because a pepsi bottle on my bumper rode about 6 miles round town after I took the driller back to his truck  (I drive like I am bringing a work release ticket to my parole officer at 4.55).  I am gonna put some mounts for my pipe stands behind the welder but other than that and skirting in toolboxes at the front, couple of swivel vices......well that is this rig anyway.   She is bad overloaded, the springs were pretty sacked when I got it, I am throwing on some airbags for now and some NEW overated springs later.  I built the floor just short of the rubber stops, cause I am so shortlegged anyway.  I need to paint the cab as it has typical f"d up GM electrostatic paint job on it then some jackleg tried to paint over it.  Just a basic rig, no frills, only **** that will help make money and that is it.     Have I said I love Hobart today?!?!   I love that old machine, she is a sweet Sweet girl.

P.S. the headache rack is so tall to clear the welder.....I am building a rack to throw on the end of the bed to haul 20ft sticks of material across the headache without needing a trailer...it will be a slip on fit out of pipe I can put on or take off easy. I know it sounds goofy but it will be sweet on the handrail and small fab/rack jobs.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 04-20-2011 12:05
Atwoods in Lonoke has some good lights. Those tractor flood lights 9.99 each I think . I'd lay my jacks down if it was me when this pipeline work kicks back off up here if it ever does they might grow legs if they are just standing there.:cool:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1st Job with new rig