Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Standard
- - By PinoyMet Date 10-28-2002 17:04
Hello, Glad to be posting here. I just found out how much fun it is to read the postings in this website.

I have a question for you metallurgists seasoned on the welding side. I am subcontacting a welding process (laser and e-beam, will eventually decide on one most likely laser) and need a (USA) welding strandard that I can use for weld quality. I would appreciate any help.

Willy de Pinoy
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-29-2002 23:25
Glad to see a posting from a Pinoy here! Mabuhay!

There may be several standards that would apply depending on the end use of your product, such as a pressure vessel, automotive part, structural members, etc. What is the end use of your product?

Marty (Notapinoy)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-30-2002 00:00
Mr. Sims is right, you should clear up what are you going to weld, because there are several different standards, each one for a different application.
Now let me ask a question. What's a Pinoy?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-31-2002 04:03
Qualification of welding procedures and welding operators for Electron Beam and Laser Welding processes is covered in Section IX of the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. Quality of the fabrication welds is covered by the various other sections (power boilers, unfired pressure vessels, nuclear, etc.) and the weld acceptance criteria are the same for all welding processes. This is one example of a standard that adresses EB and Laser processes. I think AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code may also allow one or both processes.

AWS C7.2 covers "Recommended Practices for Laser Beam Welding, Cutting, and Drilling."

General Motors specification GM 4485M covers "Weld Specifications For Laser Welds Butt Joints."

ISO 13919-1 covers "Welding - Electron and Laser-Beam Welded Joints - Guidance on Quality Levels for Imperfections - Part 1: Steel."

A Pinoy is a Filipino man. A Pinay would be a Filipino woman.

Marty
Parent - - By PinoyMet Date 12-17-2002 17:09
Marty,

I appreciate your response. My application is in the implantable medical devices. The materials as Co Cr Ni to the same material and Ti to Co Cr Ni. I am supposed to write a welding spec and have no experience with it whatsoever. I am a metallurgist but welding has not been an area I have been involved with before.

And yes indeed I am a pure blooded Pinoy who can speak the language. Tagalong and Ilocano.

Thanks,

Willy delaCruz
Parent - By nonoy Date 11-13-2004 12:30
Muzta kabayan!! pinoy din ako, bikolano. Narinig mo na ba ang Phil. Welding Society(PWS)? kung nasa pinas ka, pwde kang matulungan nila. Ito kontak # 894-4609.

Nonoy
CWI-PWS
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Standard