Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Is JIS SS400 Plate in P1 Group
- - By Boon (**) Date 04-21-2011 16:02
I cannot locate JIS SS400 materials in ASME Welding Code P1 grouping. If our WPS/PQR for P1 material is ASTM A36 or equivalent, can the SS400 materials be covered under the same WPS? If not, how can we qualify the SS400 under ASME section IX?

Regards
Boon
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-22-2011 00:58
Boon,
JIS SS400 is not covered by ASME IX or AWS D1.1.
It would have to have a new PQR based on an unassigned material.
What are you building with JIS SS400 that requires ASME IX ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Boon (**) Date 04-22-2011 15:39
Fabricating some duct sections and flanges.
Can we follow ASME IX since we have WPS/PQR and welders qualified to ASME?
Must we have new PQR if all variables are similar (except SS400 in place of A36).
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-22-2011 16:36
The code of construction and qualification is to be determined by your customer.
If there is none then you need to use what you believe you can defend in court.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 04-25-2011 06:43
Ah Boon

Yes, SS400 is unassigned material based on ASME IX.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-22-2011 14:07
JIS are the Japanese standards. Mackenzie U. Library used to have the JIS book of standards. Next Monday I'll take a look (today is Good Friday, non working day in Brazil) and will let you know if I found out anything.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-26-2011 20:58
I'm sorry to tell you that the JIS book of standards we have at Mackenzie U.'s library is an old edition and the material you're concerned about is not listed.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 04-27-2011 04:12
Prof Crisi

Whether it is an old or new edition, but what is the relevance of JIS book of standards to Boon’s questions?

Will you agree to use the word “Equivalent”? e.g. ASTM A36 is equivalent to SS400 or A36 is equivalent to S275 (EN 10025-2:2004). Do you think it will not be necessary to have a new WPS and PQR when the contractor says the “Material is Equivalent to”?

Regards
Joey
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-27-2011 09:25
Giovanni,
Joey is correct here.
JIS SS400 has not been assigned a P number by ASME so it is classed as an unassigned material.
A WPS/PQR for A 36 cannot be used even if the mechanical properties of JIS SS400 are far greater than the A 36 (which they aren't as I am working with that steel now in Thailand)
Unless, as Jeff pointed out - the customer is willing to accept the substitution.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-28-2011 00:27
What I was trying to do was to check the chemical composition and mechanical properties of SS400 steel, to see whether it was really equivalent to A36, because, from Boon's first posting, I had the impression (right or wrong) that he wasn't sure of the equivalence.
Some other answers were posted later that confirmed the equivalence, but because I had promised Boon that I was going to look at the JIS manual, I wanted to keep my promise.
As a matter of fact, I was more concerned with the SA400 equivalence than with the need of a new WPS and PQR.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 04-28-2011 02:11
Excuse me if I'm wrong as my mother tongue is Tagalog (or Pilipino).... I would rather use the word "comparable" than "equivalence" when you're dealing with materials having different steel specification.

For Boon's case, I believe that before you go for WPS & PQR, you have to seek approval from Engineer to use SS400 in lieu of A36. I think Boon's main interest is to find out whether  WPS and PQR are required for SS400 as per ASME IX.

Actually you can google SS400 to save time of going to library.

Have a nice day Prof Crisi.

~Joey~
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Is JIS SS400 Plate in P1 Group