Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power crete coated pipe
- - By TRC (***) Date 04-22-2011 19:57
What method do you use to remove power crete coating from your road bore pipe? Thanks- Ted:eek:
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-22-2011 20:28
Grind a circumferential break line using a diamond wheel on a grinder.  Be careful not to score the tube.  Make some longitudinal score lines from the edge in toward the break line, then use a pneumatic chipper to clear the concrete from the clean line, and polish with power brushes and flap sanders.  The width of the removal line depends on the size of your backing shoe.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 04-22-2011 22:20
Ted is it actually concrete coated or that extra heavy epoxy coat? That stuff is a bear to get off. A wire wheel is all we've used. Just don't want to breath too deep.:grin:
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 04-23-2011 00:58
It's the heavy expoy with the green epoxy underneath. Seems a cutting torch is the least labor intensive by just burning it off. The pipe is 24" so there is a whole lot of burning going on.    Ted
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-23-2011 02:44
if it is the shot crete or sprayed concrete...I usually bust it with a tomahawk chipping hammer then use a wire brush on a 4 inch grinder to suit.  The epoxy stuff just seems to kinda burn and smear when you use power tools on it....so yea the torch is the way to go...smells great.  although I have had good results with a chisel and hammer....once you get it started that is.
Parent - By weldaboy (**) Date 04-24-2011 15:48
what are you takin it off for? it seems like everytime i get pipe for a cut out its left over bore pipe with power crete coating. you have to torch that crap off where your beveling machine is gonna set or youll put dog legs in it at every weld. haha so ya in my opinion the torch is the best way to go.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power crete coated pipe