Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hydrostatic testing
- - By cecil chandler Date 04-24-2011 17:12
i am considering getting my CWI for my work , i mentioned it to my boss to see if the company would help pay for it , i was asked if the certification covered Hydro - testing and the reading of films , i know hydro is a NDT process but do not know if it is covered in the NDT of CWI, could you please inform me as to if it is or not and if not then what schooling i need and certification i would have to get , thank you
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-24-2011 20:35
I think that the CWI would be a waste for what you want.  Besides, CWIs write reports, and that requires proper spelling and sentence structure.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2011 17:31
CWI's ?

Heh.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-25-2011 18:47
Lawrence

CWIs is the simple plural of CWI.  CWI's is the possessive of CWI.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2011 18:57
Er... Um... Just testing you Joe
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-26-2011 00:25
Just so long as you understood what I was implying.:grin:
Parent - By cecil chandler Date 04-27-2011 23:23
TY Joe for the reply , the 1st part of your reply would have been enuff , as far as the 2nd part of it i had no idea i was attending English Classes , Thankx agan for the in-put
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-25-2011 01:09
Have you even tried looking through the AWS literature regarding Certified Welding Inspectors?
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-25-2011 16:16
The AWS CWI doesn't cover hydro testing as a subject nor does it cover the actual interpretation of radiographed films to the degree of you being certified to read films.

The procedure for hydrostatic tesing is spelled out in each applicable code or standard.  Basically, pressure vessels are hydrostatic tested at 1.3 times the MAWP of the vessel or pipe tested at 1.5 times MAWP.

What exactly does your company produce?
Parent - - By cecil chandler Date 04-27-2011 23:17
we are in the gas/oil industry , we build vapor recovery systems , oil-gas compression sys , we build our own vessels and do the hydro tests on them , i am interested in finding out how to get certified so i can advance in our company and also be more valuable to them
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2011 23:32
If I remember correctly, ASNT has certifications for those areas with study materials available.  Study materials may have been through AISC.  I'll have to do some checking.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-28-2011 14:58 Edited 04-28-2011 15:00
An AWS CWI certification would give you more credibility in your company and to your Clients in that it would show them you have the knowledge of weld inspection and the ability to comprehend the various codes & standards to which your weldments are fabricated.  You are exposed to all the NDE procedures and have a general knowledge of which to apply to your particular weldment.

I am currently qualified as SNT-TC-1A Level II in PT and MT which I use to examine the tanks and pressure vessels in various stages of fabricaton.  Hopefully will extend my certifications to Level II in UT soon.  You should Google NDE training facilities in your state and contact them for pricing of training to become SNT-TC-1A Level II in PT, MT & UT.

To obtain Level I or II in RT you would have to work for an NDT company that holds RT certificaton.

Btw, does your company hold ASME stamps "U", "PP" and NBIC "R" certifications?

Best of luck to ya,
QCRobert
Parent - - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 05-18-2011 12:22
The CWI does not specifically include hydro testing as a function, nor does any other NDE testing method.  If you are producing pressure vessels, you do not need any specific "certification" to witness a hydro test.  The process and inspection requirements should be spelled out in your companies QC Manual (that has been reviewed and accepted by ASME/NB).  You should start by getting a copy of the QC manual and reading it.

Now, with that said, ASME does accept in several of the codes the CWI certification as an alternative to ASNT VT certification.  BUT.... again, it goes back to what your company QC manual states.  When doing Code work, your QC Manual is your guide. 

I do hydro test all the time as we do ASME work and NBIC repair work.  I do not have any special "hydro" certification.  What I do have is authorization in my company QC manual to do the inspections and a 10 year working relationship with the local A/I.  In my opinion, the CWI is a good certification to have though, it does lend credibility to what you are doing.  If the company will pay for it, go for it.  If they don't pay for it.... that's a big chunk of $$$ to shell out.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-18-2011 17:20
The CWI exam is only $825 for members and $1040 for non members. Hopefully you're not too far away from a test site.
Parent - - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 05-18-2011 17:52
I don't know of very many people that take the exam without the prep class and hotel for a week though is what I was referring to.  I believe my whole "package" was somewhere around $3500 when I did mine.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 05-18-2011 19:54
I didn't take any prep course, Just went down on a saturday and tested. passed first go around.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-18-2011 20:50
See, how hard can it be? Tacker passed. :yell:

Even I passed the test.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 05-19-2011 03:27
Thats right, If I can do it, most people should be able too, I sucked bad enough at welding I got to be a good critic. :razz:
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-20-2011 01:27
I reviewed a brochure, took the test, passed, I don't see what the big deal is.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 05-20-2011 03:55
They have a brochure?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-19-2011 09:56
Yep! There are those folks that the company foots the bill for them. Just wanted the poster to know that it does not have to be that expensive.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-20-2011 11:48
Mah kumpanees payd fer all mah edumicashun.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-20-2011 19:55
I just wish I'd known about the Brochure. That would have made that 6 hour test a snap!
Back in 1986, the CWI exam was only $250.00 as I remember.

"Mah kumpanees payd fer all mah edumicashun."

Me? I gradjee-8-ed 6 grade with Jethro, paid for my own CWI and clawed my way all the way to the bottom rung of the ladder, where I happily wallow in the excrement of all the management pukes above me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hydrostatic testing