Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Digital Radiography
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-24-2011 19:30
Has anyone gone through the hoops to allow digital radiography over standard film in ASME Section V?
Since Section V does not cover digital film, what is the film acceptance criteria?
I can overcome the IQI but when it comes to the density, how would it be accepted?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-25-2011 15:22
Need to review ASME Sect V Article 2 Appendix 9 2010 edition
Parent - - By ANDTLIII Date 04-29-2011 18:07
dbigkahunna,

First off, there is no such thing as digital film.  They are referred to as digital images!  Before I can answer your questin, I need some additional information.  Will you be performing Digital Radiography or Computed Radiography? Alot of people get the two methods confused.  There are different ways of qualifying the images for each method.  Once you determine the method you will be using, you can go to Section V Article 2 and read the seperate Appendicies for your particular application!  Hope this helps

ANDTLIII
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2011 15:52
That reminds me of the time when my daugther told me she was considering purchasing a new digital camara, but she couldn't find any digital film for the damn thing.

A short while ago I was going to buy a replacement for my current digital camara at Target. Then I went to buy a memory chip for it only to discover they didn't carry a compatible memory chip for the darn camara! Duh!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-03-2011 20:39
Al,

You need to go back to that old, reliable Brownie like I have.  :wink:

QCRobert
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-04-2011 12:56
Al,
I still catch myself occasionally as a reflex trying to hold the digital up to my eye.
I once shoved my finger through the shutter curtain of my medium format Pentax 67 (thing is built like a tank and as reliable as anything I've ever owned) while changing film under my coat.
No shutter curtains in digitals but film still gives higher quality images and I just prefer the art of it more.
However, the art of photography is changing to more manipulation post production with digitals.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2011 13:15
I used to take photos with my 35 mm, get the film developed, tape the photos to the report with the appropriate captions, take the finished report to the printer to have color copies made for distribution, and then send the reports out via snail mail.

I don't miss those days in the least. Now the process is streamlined; take a digital photo, pop it into the report, and presto, it is ready for distribution by e-mail. Wow, what an improvement!

Now I have to buy another digital camara. I can't find mine anywhere. I must have left it on the job site somewhere. It is usually in my computer bag, but it went missing a couple of weeks ago. Wait a minute!, maybe I put it into my tool bag. I'll have to check that possibility one more time. It is tough getting old!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Digital Radiography