Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WABO Structural ???
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-24-2011 19:30
Went to take a weld test and I was asked if I have a WABO cert. yes I do. I was asked is it a structural cert? I said yes, but my mind got to wondering, is it. I should know the answer to this question. I have read, and reread the 27-13 and I think my cert is structural, but I thought all WABO certs were good for structural work.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-25-2011 00:52
Look on the back of your WABO Card, it'll say what you are certified to.  WABO has various certifications not just structural.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-25-2011 01:23
I had alot of CABO WABO before I took my WABO while I was in CABO. and now I dont know what the hell I have ! BUT, I think it was all good !
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-13-2011 01:17
Did you really go to Cabo Cactus?    I am trying to convince my wife of what a wonderfull time we would have there.  Well at least I know I would enjoy it anyway!
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-13-2011 02:16
Been there a few times. I love it ! Not sure I would go now with all the trouble down there. But, IT IS A WILD RIDE !!!
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 04-25-2011 19:50
Hey Levi

If you dig out one of your old homework assignments I think you will find the answer! 

Check out 27-13.4 - 1 through 27-13.4 - 5

Also, see table 27-13-A

Then see if you don't fit under 27-13.4 -1
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-26-2011 15:26
thanks. it was table A i over looked. so i was right, im good for structural E71t-1 3G, 4G, 1" plate.
- - By dnelson2031 (*) Date 04-25-2011 03:13
For those outside of Washington state:  WABO is an acronym for the Washington Association of Building Officials.  It is a private group dedicated to education and advancement of the discipline.  They established a system of welder qualification agencies and welder credentials back in the 70's - early 80's. 

While WABO is interested in "all things" building code-related, the welder program concentrates on AWS D1.1, D1.3, D1.4, and D1.8.  As such, it looks at structural applications for steel, sheet metal, and rebar.

The welder qualification program is pretty successful.  It's especially nice for students and educators--we can help our welding students earn an important industry credential.  For practicing welders, however, it represents another requirement that the individual must meet and renew at their own expense.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-26-2011 16:20
Back in '99 I qualified a group of welders to D1.1 1" thk P1 plate, who later went to Washington state to work and were denied their certifications because they did not take their test in a certified WABO shop.

From then on, I will not accept WABO certs here in Oregon.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-26-2011 18:43
from what ive seen thus far the code work here states in the contract that the welder needs to be WABO certified so even if those individuals were certified to do the work, in this state they would need a WABO cert.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 04-26-2011 19:25
To the credit of WABO, the level of accountability for the testing station, the tamper resistance of the printed plastic cards, and the annual renewal process that requires proof on continuity of work as well as presents such continuity on the welder's behalf, does have a lot to be said for it.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-26-2011 21:45
I don't mean to be dismissive of certification cards but they themselves are not worth much in that Code does not address such cards.

An inspector will review a welder's (WPQ) performance qualification test results along with the WPS that he qualified to whether it be a prequalified or qualified (w/ tests) WPS.  Also will review a continuity log to verify that the welder is "currently" qualified to the process, matl, etc..

The 1" thk P1 plate test is exactly the same as the D1.1 plate test but WABO does not allow the use of grinders (which is the same as D1.5 Bridge Code reqs).

Different states, different rules.  Like WA & OR not recognizing each other state's citizens concealed carry permits.

Live long, live happy..
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-26-2011 22:35
Ok,  I waited to hear you post a second time and you did.

You said you don't mean to be dismissive, but in your first post you said;

"From then on, I will not accept WABO certs here in Oregon."

That sounds like from a certain point (that pissed you off), you no longer accepted the WABO, and that the reason behind it was that welders you qualified outside Washington were not qualified within Washington..  To me that sounds like the very decription of "dismissive"

Diddn't sound like "your" state had a different rule.. Rather you arbitrarily stopped accepting certs that you formerly did accept only because the next state over had a rule you don't like.

Thats how it reads to me.  Maybe you can clear that up.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-03-2011 15:23
Lawrence,

As I stated that certification cards in themselves are something I consider unworthy of consideration (definition of dismissive).  But the actual Welder Performance Qualification Test Record is worthy of consideration.

As far as WABO not recognizing an Oregon (or any other state) D1.1 WPQ, I do feel this was not fair to those welders.

I have stopped accepting WABO cards and require those welders to take a D1.1 performance qualification test.  As far as formerly accepting cards, I had not heard of WABO or been presented with a WABO card at that time.

Hope this clears things up.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-27-2011 01:28
qcrobert, grinding of the root and cover passes is not permitted, for the obvious reasons.  Grinding is allowed on fill passes according to WABO 27-13, 5th Edition.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-27-2011 02:53
grinding is permitted if the test proctor allows it. there is no grinding on the root or cover pass to ensure that the welder can make a sound root and make a cover pass within the 1/8" tolerence
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-03-2011 15:33
I understand the reasoning there, weldstudent.  It shows that the welder can produce a sound root and uniform cover pass within the 1/8" tolerance.

I have taken 6" P1 test coupons in 6G position using E6010 & E7018 without the use of grinders.  You were given a piece of pipe and had to use a cutting torch to cut the bevel and a hammer to face off a landing.  This was standard practice in Houston with Brown & Root in the 60's & 70's.  NDT was 100% RT of the coupon.

There are many test positions and restrictions that exceed the requirements of AWS, ASME, or API in order to prove out the welder's ability to make sound welds.

Some boiler tube tests are set up in a limited access space jig to simulate actual production welding of waterwall tubes.  Shipyards commonly have a limited access test where the coupon is placed in the upper corner of a box tilted as a 45 deg angle.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 05-12-2011 19:24
BTW, for people who may not know, WABO has two requirements that trip a lot of welders.

First, arc strikes are prohibited.

Second, on plate undercut is limited to 1/32" max depth, and it can not excede 10% of the test weld length.

Arc strikes (for stick and TIG) and the linear limitation on undercut (for stick and FCAW) probably cause more welders dificulty than anything else. 

I had two bust out today for one small arc strike each, and one for very minor undercut that exceded the length allowance using dual shield.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WABO Structural ???