Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig machine
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2011 21:46
I'm looking and getting into a tig machine. Ideally I would like a synchrowave 250 and that would take care of anything I do. But at $6000 that is not going to happen. I know a diversion is out and so is the dynasty, to much $$$ for that as well.

What I'm looking at comparing is the miller synch 200 vs the lincoln precision tig 225. Price wise the miller is about a grand higher from looking on the web and 25 amps less. I've used a synch 350 and it was tough as nails and have used the 225 lincoln for a little and liked it.
Guess I could use some opinions, actually would not mind hearing what Kaye has to say. The synch seems to have a good rep for sure and have seen some used on CL but to far to drive and find out its actually a pos. Gonna check a local welder repaair and see what or if they have any used. My key use for this machine, aluminum. Thanks for any opinions, thoughts.

Shawn
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 04-24-2011 22:15
Save your cash and hunt on ebay. I snagged a Lincoln invertec v205 Ac/dc for about 2K. The smaller inverters are expensive but, you'll make back the 2-3K this summer repairing boats. Having a portable ac/dc tig machine is priceless, and as they say "It only cost a little more to go first class". Good luck & Happy Easter
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-25-2011 00:09
Saving cash is good but as a friend put it to me, "save up and buy it for cash, what about all the work I'll miss while saving money?" The inverter machines would be nice for out in the field if needed but can't even do it in the shop and has been my biggest worry since I started this business, not having a machine at all! hahaha!! Thanks for the tip and Happy Easter back to you.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 04-24-2011 22:38
Shawn you will probably get many different answers here so here is mine. I am going to assume that you are wanting a TIG machine for a couple of reasons, #1 AC and #2 not having to run your engine drive at the house. You could take care of #1 with a HF box off of your Ranger to give you AC or DC, this is a low $$$ option and you could save up for a bigger shop machine. Or just set up a Tig Rig off your SA for DC work. I used these options while saving for my Dynasty. You can also get one of the smaller 200amp class machines for not a huge investment new or used but trust me you will grow out of it very quickly. This would however take care of my #1&#2 reasons and buy you some time. You can always sell it later to make back some of that investment or keep it for a backup but don't expect to get a bunch for it used the resale value on them SUCKS. The Syncrowave machines are great machines but use a bunch of power so running it off and engine drive is usually out of the question unless you have a machine that can do it. So I chose the inverter for the shop and the truck. I have paid for my machine several times over by having it portable, something to consider. We use both Lincoln and Miller machines at work and I would only own the Dynasty, IMO it can't be beat!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-25-2011 00:19
I've got a dry rig and run it off both machines, sa/ranger and even off the miller thunderbolt in the shop. I've looked into a high freq box for the ranger and last time I looked I thought it was darn near as much as an actually machine. Yeah, the synchs they had at the school sucked mega juice. The director said what he would save on electric compared to the dynasty's they would just about pay for themselves in the first year! Only problem with a dynasty is a base model ready to go is $6000 according to miller and that's just a 200. Think I'm looking for a foot in the door, weld up to 1/4" aluminum and later on if I need to upgrade then hopefully I'll be in more of a position to do so. Got a welder to trip over in every corner now so if I have to park it later guess I can do that! LoL! Keep it around and use it as a write off, depreciate and all that good stuff. Always can use new deductions!! Hahaha!

Thanks for the tips Wade, yeah I figured eveybody would have a different opinion but that's why I asked, like to hear other folks experience with different machines and so on. Heck, Rig Hand mentioned the power sucking capabilities of the synchs and I did not really consider that, so it's good to have you guys just throwing it out there.

Shawn
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-25-2011 01:40
I always go with used gear. In the last few days a Lincoln Tig Module sold on eBay for about $450. The usually sell for $450-$550, but don't come up as often as Miller HF units.

In shop machines, the Syncrowave 250 is really popular, so much so that the older Syncrowave 300/350/351 models can often be had for less. Expect $1000-$1500 depending on age and if it is a complete system.

Dialarc 250 HF or Lincoln Idealarc 250 TIG machines often sell for $500- $750 used, complete. The older Miller 330 A/B-P or Idealarc 300/300 sell for about the same.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 04-25-2011 01:41
Shawn, If you are going to weld aluminum handrail w/ the machine you need at least a 275 amp ac output. Made the mistake years back buying a smaller (225???) machine. Had to take a hit selling it for a bigger machine ( Tig 300/300). Years later( about 20) I have all lincoln 275's and up (4 machines). One other thing I have found is YOU DON'T need all the bells and whistles that they push on high end lincolns and millers. Some of the machines look like the cockpit controls in a 747 !!!!! Keep it simple, can use weldcraft 250 amp aircooled torch just get the head replacement, when the threads get galled inside ( usually about 6 months of 40 hr. use) change out !!!! Also the fingertip control for current control (no pedal). Have welded alot of AL handrail and this seems to be the best set-up, even now w/ employees.:smile: Best prices I have found are on the internet welding supply places, unfortunately weld suppliers can't/won't compete with them!!!!!:sad:
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 04-25-2011 20:16
You are going to be frustrated trying to do 1/4" aluminum with a 200 amp machine.
Do yourself a favor. If you do not need to do aluminum right now, save your money untill you can get Syncro 250 (min) or 350.

Griff
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 04-25-2011 00:28
Shawn,  I think you seen my Idealarc 300 in the shop. Its been a great machine for the (money. I'm not into it for very much at all.  If I was buying new, I'd have a Dynasty 200 in my arsenal. I was fortunate to be able to run one for several days on a job recently. Its adjustability and features along with the 110/220v option is a deal maker in my mind.
- - By jpill (**) Date 04-25-2011 00:57
Shawn I have a precision tig 225 at the school shop that is my main machine for teaching intro TIG. It is a good machine for what it is, but you will outgrow its limited features pretty quick. One of it's biggest plus features it has is easy setting, and it does have pulse but that is about it. The way I look at it is this, it is a great machine to teach the basics on, but as far as being a top of the line do anything machine in a fab shop it leaves a lot to be desired. Which ever way you do go if you plan on a lot of aluminum in the shop spend the extra money for a cooler and water torch, or build a cooler and snag the torch off of ebay. I have wished for one many times while waiting for the w17 to cool down.
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 04-25-2011 01:06
On the other hand though as far as machines go my future grandpaw in law runs an antique Airco Helicrafter 250 all day everyday in his shop repairing boats. That old machine is one of the sweetest aluminum machines I have ever run, never misses a lick, and in 30+ years has made him a ton of money, BUT it is his dedicated aluminum machine he will slap a person silly for even thinking about welding steel with the old girl.
Parent - By EMANRESU (*) Date 04-25-2011 23:37
Used the syncrowave for a long time and loved it got a dynasty 300 now and would never go back, best AC tig I've ever used!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-28-2011 00:50
Well ended up buying a machine. Dream machine dynasty but don't have $10k and can't put off money that can be made now. Went with the lincoln 225. Used it today on some cast and gotta say I'm happy to be able to weld aluminum. Sure I'll grow out of it but it'll be a good write off this year and when I get bigger I'll buy the one I really want, heck might donate this to my kid or better yet to my kids school....another deduction?? Hahaha!
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 04-28-2011 18:11
Like I said it's not a bad machine, just limited. Now get you a cooler for it, or build one.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-28-2011 18:50
Yeah, thinking about a cooler. Tommy and I have been talking about what to do to build one. Figure now that I can weld aluminum it would be fun to build one, just have to locate a pump. I like it, welded some cast aluminum yesterday and worked great and was definitely fun!
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 04-28-2011 20:03
I'm not sure exactly how he has it all set up but my fiance's grandfather has a procon pump and motor on his machine and uses a 6 gallon plastic boat gas tank as the resevoir. At one time he had a 17 gallon tank split between three machines but that was when he was building airboats full time and had two employees besides himself, he just does boat repairs now and the few diesel tanks that comes in time to time. He has slowed down a bit now that he is in his 70's!
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 04-28-2011 20:33
This guy has a decent idea for a cooler. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=54439
A cheap evap cooler motor and a pump from harbor freight would be less than $100. I'm sure an old mechanic like you has a radiator or auto trans cooler laying around somewhere. I built mine out of an old Bernard pump from a swingarc platform I picked up for 5 or 10 bucks at a swap meet. worked just fine for many years until I decided to upgrade.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-29-2011 01:47
When I set up My first TIG machine, I used tap water. The machine has a water selonoid valve, so it only flowed when the shilding gas flowed. You could use an old twin hose from a torch, tap water in one hose and out the other into the drain. This is only workable if Your shop doesn't freze in winter.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig machine