Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Siemens welder pay
- - By mightymoe (**) Date 04-29-2011 21:33
Siemens in Charlotte, NC is hiring welders.
Does anyone know what they pay?
Parent - - By aedwelder (*) Date 04-30-2011 05:33
I was looking in to the Siemens jobs and I was kind of disappointed. You are required to go to CPCC and take some preliminary tests. I think there are two tests total. They are about 3-4 hours each. I never made it to the second test. My coworker and myself were both trying to get in, and they messed his tests up so by the time we got "cleared" to take the second test there was only 2 spots left on the same day at the same time. I work in a small job shop and it was just the two of us and another guy, but he was out hurt. So I let him continue on. The thing that really got me was when you go take the tests at CPCC the person administering the tests works for CPCC. She cannot really answer any technical or employment type questions. My friend did get an interview, but has since taken another job. The test they told him he was going to have to take was 6" inconel 6G, if I remember correctly. From what I understand when you apply you are appling for a job, not as a welder, mechanic, machinist, etc. You may be hired as a welder, but it is not set in stone. You have to have a lot of time to "jump when they say jump." For the second test I think I got 1 or 2 days notice. I am not really up for that political game crap. I am not used to that, I am used to going in a place for an in person interview and proving what you can or cannot do. I am not going to risk my current job of 7 years to go take a math/reading test for someone when they cannot answer any of my questions about the job, pay, etc. I will just stay where I am. I think they pay pretty good. I know a guy that works in the assembly department and I think he makes around $22/hr. I think it is a wonderful option for someone who has time for it, but you are just a number from the beginning. This was about 5-6 months ago it may be better now. Hope it works out for you.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 04-30-2011 13:32
Thanks for the info. I am going thru the same thing. Went to first test hoping to find out more about siemens but the ccpc instructor could not answer any thing. An HR rep called me to set up an interview and she could not answer any thing(only a supervisor could answer my questions at the interview). I have a weld test with a different company this Wednsday in Belmont, NC. If it goes well then I won't be going to the Interview. Mabey I'll go to tell them how they can improve their hiring process.
Parent - - By aedwelder (*) Date 04-30-2011 19:29
Sorry did not know you were already dealing with it. Who are you testing for in Belmont? I live in Stanley, just a few mill towns over. If you are coming from SC, I heard that J and L Machine and Fabrication was looking for a few guys. It is in Bessemer City, Edgewood Rd. exit off of I-85. Do not know much about them, just a small job shop. Hope your test goes well.
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 05-01-2011 00:34
I'm testing with Watts. 1" sch 40 stainless 6G and 2" sch 160 carbon tig root/hot 7018 out 6G . They have work in Aiken, SC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Siemens welder pay