Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI automatic SNT Level II?
- - By heritage06 (*) Date 04-30-2011 01:32
I have some CWI folks who have been performing visual weld inspections. When they signoff on the inspection they note that they are SNT Level II. I asked to see their signed certs and was told that anyone who passes the CWI test is automatically a VT Level II. I have searched for this in the certification documents and can't seem to locate it. Anyone have some input on this? What is the ACCP Program associated with ASNT? Thanks.
Parent - - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 04-30-2011 01:42
http://www.asnt.org/certification/levelii/index.htm

Scroll down to the bottom for more info.  It is not "automatic".  You still have to apply and send in your money, but basically, yes, if you have a CWI you will most likely get the VT level II.  I have the CWI and ASNT / ACCP VT Lev. II.
Parent - By heritage06 (*) Date 04-30-2011 04:25
Went in and looked at that website. I am just in the process of renewing my CWI and looks like a good use of the money to get the extra endorsement. Thanks for the information.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-30-2011 03:05
That's like a blatant violation if they do not have the certs available. Whenever I've called in for an NDT Tech on a job, they have always provided me with the proper documentation. Sure hope you haven't been signing the reports and billing. Wow! That's like saying just cuz you're a CWI, you're also a Welding Engineer.
Parent - By heritage06 (*) Date 04-30-2011 04:24
Nope haven't been signing any reports or billing. Just trying to make sure everything is square. Looks like I'm about to go stir up a hornets nests. Thanks for the information.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-30-2011 14:56
If someone has been signing off their reports as SNT VT II without having sent application, documents, and money to ASNT and received their card then they should be reported and investigated by the appropriate committee from both organizations: AWS & ASNT. 

They stand in risk of losing CWI and a chance at truly having ASNT because of Code of Ethics violations.  Anyone who is a responsible inspector needs to check out all the available information for any Certifications they claim to have.   Mistakes can happen, but most items are so easily checked out on the websites of certifying organizations anymore that there is no reason for that kind of claim.  If they didn't check it out and make proper application they are plain lazy and irresponsible.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-02-2011 15:51
It is not "automatic" Level II with an AWS CWI certification.

The American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) has an agreement with the American Welding Society (AWS) to provide access for AWS Certified Welding Inspectors (CWIs) and Senior Certified Welding Inspectors (SCWIs) to Visual Testing (VT) certification under the provisions of the ASNT Central Certification Program (ACCP). The purpose of this agreement is to facilitate companies’ and individuals’ compliance with current and anticipated personnel qualification requirements for Visual Testing.

ACCP provides visual testing certification in accordance with ASNT Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A. It is the most widely referenced NDT program document and is widely specified in codes and standards, most notably by ASME. Under the agreement, current AWS CWIs and SCWIs holding valid certificates may qualify for the ACCP VT Direct Visual technique for the General Industry (GI) sector based on the AWS examinations already taken. Interested individuals will complete an ACCP application form and supply ASNT with a copy of their current CWI or SCWI wallet card, along with a currently valid Jaeger J-1 visual acuity form. No other documentation will be necessary for the ACCP Level II VT GI-Direct certification.

Qualified CWIs and SCWIs may also apply for ACCP Level II VT certification in the Pressure Equipment (PE) Sector and for the Remote Viewing Technique. PE interested applicants will need to comply with the requirements for the GI Sector listed above and document three years’ experience in pressure-related visual inspection.  This cost is $200 for new application and additional $100 for PE or R Sector add on & must have a SNT Level III or AI attest (signed letter) to you having 3 years of experience in VT of Pressure Equipment.

CWIs and SCWIs seeking ACCP VT certification for the Remote Viewing Technique also must comply with the GI Sector requirements and additionally document remote viewing experience, listing the remote equipment used.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-02-2011 20:31
I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm duplicating. The CWi is not automatically a Level II VT....there is a form that you can fill out from the ASNT site where a CWI can apply for a VT Level II, but this requires a J1 visual acuity test(smaller fonts than the J2)) vs the J2 that most CWIs have taken.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI automatic SNT Level II?