Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Your insight
- - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-01-2011 23:57
Okay I sold a drag bike. (atv) to a guy Friday night. I told him that this bike is made for drag racing 300 foot. It's just what the bike is set for. So anyway this guy buys it takes it home. Get a call Saturday morning saying he lost 4th gear.
Now let me tell you about this tranny to get a better understanding.
This tranny is cut. What that means is only time the clutch has to be used is when launching and when you let off the gas you must pull it in. And cannont downshift. Other wise the tranny is trash.
So back to Saturday, I drive out there to see what was wrong. He did lose fourth gear. He did tell me the first 3-4 runs it was great and hit all gears.
Get a. Text today, he wants his money back. WTF I don't want a broke bike back.
We came to a agreement about I'll give him his money back if I get a working bike.
Or I told him I will get a quote on it getting fixed. He will be responsible for getting it there, and I will take the difference of the money he bought it for.
Now I just wanted to ask you guys what would y'all have done. I fell I'm being really nice.
Thanks.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 05-02-2011 00:18
He bought it. You sold it in good faith. He broke it. It's his, all sales final. Just my .02.
Parent - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 05-02-2011 00:41
I think that is damn fair but I wouldnt do that I'm surprised he even asked
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-02-2011 00:42
My response. You bought it, you broke it, you fix it.  Have a happy life.
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 05-02-2011 00:58
He bought a bike intended to DRAG with it and complains it BROKE? I would tell him  "stuff" happens, never heard of anyone giving a guarantee on racing vehicles. Too much to go wrong, including operator error!
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 05-02-2011 01:21
All sales final. He bought it knowing what it was for, he broke it. I personally wouldn't give him one red cent back.

Chris
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 05-02-2011 01:49
5 minutes or 5 feet bro sold as a race bike u ain't gotta warranty it unless u told him u would or just want to
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-02-2011 01:58
Web he picked it up it he wasn't satisfied I would take t back. But I won't take a broken bike. And if I did have taken it back. I would brig it to a speacliest too look it over and make sure everything is in working order. And he will be responsible on it getting o the shop.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-02-2011 02:33
I am guessing they ground every other tooth off the dogs, or ground them thinner for more clearance.

The factory engineers these things, racers go and make modifications, some of which weaken things.

I never heard of anybody offering any sort of waranty on racing stuff, or anybody expecting it.

On the other hand, You did offer return for refund if not satisfied.

I understand  Youre wanting it fixed if He is bringing it back for a refund, as it worked when He got it.

Next time You sell it, don't offer a refund.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-02-2011 02:49
Those things are like the Boss Hoss bikes and V8 Choppers that I ride. Once an Engine is modified, Either by me or the factory, Meaning if I order it with say.... a Cam. No Warranty ! It's yours. Must be paid for in advance. I am with everyone else. He bought it. He broke it. He now has a Broken Quad !
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-02-2011 03:03
Hey cactus you may know this. I did not write a bill of sale cause I was planning on getting his title Monday. But sence nothing is in writing, just a verbal contract.  If he does not want to bring it to get it fixed, should I just sign the title over to him anyway? Nothing is wrong with that?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-02-2011 03:19
You NEED to get His name on the title, NOT YOURS. You are still legally the owner, and liable as the owner if anything happens involving this quad and You end up in court.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-02-2011 03:34 Edited 05-03-2011 01:48
I would just sign the title and drop it in the mail. End of story. But thats your call. I would not give back a penny due to it being a race bike. Did you see him ride it ? Did he know how to ride it ? Did he intentionally break it ? You cant warranty anything under those conditions. As far as a bill of sale, that is a double edged sword. There is nothing proving he paid you either. Like I said. Drop the title in the mail and forget it.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-02-2011 03:35
Like dave said. Fill in his name and address on the title. Keep a record of your transaction.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-02-2011 03:44
Sounds good.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 05-02-2011 04:19
You're an individual selling a used item; he can't expect to get a year long warranty. When I buy stuff from craigslist or friends that's used I do so knowing there's a chance the item may last a few days or a few years. This applies even more so to performance and racing items. The situation sucks for him but is the risk you take.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 05-02-2011 11:40
I always offer a guarantee when selling something, a driveway guarantee. Aslong as its still in my driveway its covered, any further its null and void. Hope its all works out for you Tyler.

Hillbilly
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-02-2011 18:31
I like that warranty, mines a 50/50 warranty, 50 feet or 50 seconds whichever is quickest. Tyler, I wouldn't help that dude at all. If you know it worked properly when you sold it to him I would not loose a single drop of sweat. It's a race bike which means they are gonna rawhide the sob for all it's worth and stuff is gonna break. I throw a bunch of horsepower stuff at my truck and wad the turbo or the driveline Dodge will just laugh at me if I cry warranty. He bought it, he broke it, as somebody else said, "have a good life". Sold as is in working condition when he hauled it out of your driveway, because he tore it up on the track, not your problem in my opinion.

Shawn
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-03-2011 00:58
Come to a conclusion. ItS his bike now his problem. Good luck on the track. Done deal. Thanks guys for the answers.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Your insight