Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Anyone Use the Forum for a Homework Assignment?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 05-02-2011 20:05
I do.  I am working on a new assignment right now and I just became curious if most other instructors have assignments the reach into this forum as well.  We do a lot of internet work... almost every night in the Spring quarter we have assignments from articles and product literature on the websites of Lincoln, Miller, and ESAB.

Anyhow there is a lot of good info and people to be found here so I try and get the guys turned on to the forum.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-02-2011 22:46
Lots of students have attempted to have Forum members answer their homework problems on this forum.  However, someone usually calls them out on it, and they only get told to do their own homework! it is a little amusing!
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 05-03-2011 01:28
i like it when students try to get answers to there homework questions. there is going to be a good response like the answer by RLITMAN to a question posted by INEEDHELP.

here is the answer in response to a question about GMAW

"He's talking about male type (since this is GMAW and the wire is coming out of the gun) Cathode Anode Transfer in the spray mode then, or "male CAT spray" for short.
This should be obvious, because with female type or Short-circuit Positive Anode Yttrium Erbium Doped or (SPAYED for short), you don't get into spray mode."
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-03-2011 15:15
I feel there are ways for students and professionals to use the internet, and this forum in particular, to increase the knowledge base and improve their understanding of many things without asking us to answer questions to a quiz or exam. 

Teaching how to research for themselves, how to practice different techniques to improve skills, experiment with processes and variables to learn how things change with a little change in perameters, etc.

People like Henry are great resources that point others to further study.  I don't care where HE gets the links for all the info, he helps people find it. 

We walk a slim line here.  How to be of help and encouragement and share our knowledge and experience without allowing students to CHEAT themselves of certain aspects of the learning process. 

The same is true for ourselves.  How often do we tell a fellow inspector- "Buy the Code Book for yourself" instead of just answering his question.  There is a difference between someone who needs clarification or information they don't know what and where to find compared to someone who knows where it is but won't spend the time or money to get it for themselves and expects others to give it to them for free.  But if you only have PART of the information you can draw conclusions or make applications that are not correct. 

I use this forum for my WorkWork everday (compared to HomeWork).  I learn a lot here.  I ask questions.  I read.  I comment (and sometimes get shot down which makes me do more research to see if I have understood and applied things correctly).

I hope students do come here for advice and questions.  I hope we offer profitable assistance in a way that leads them to proper conclusions.  I hope we are seen as mentors, teachers, experts that are worthy of their time to seek knowledge from.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-03-2011 17:09
**** <----Four stars
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 05-05-2011 04:12
i once had a good man tell me "you cant hide what you dont know" that is one of the best quotes ive ever heard. its true, if you cant do it, it shows quick. point in case, job i just finished we had a kid who claimed to have been welding for 6 years, his 3/8 fillett were close to 3/4 and he burnt through a 3/8 plate with a 1/16" flux cored wire. there was another "welder" who took around 4 hours to change a gun liner because he didnt know there was a set screw in the gas defuser. those who cant do there own homework will most likely end up like these two, down the road, because you cant hide what you dont know!!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Anyone Use the Forum for a Homework Assignment?