Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Boilermaker's Competition
- - By aevald (*****) Date 05-06-2011 23:17
Hello everyone, this afternoon was one of those that can certainly put a smile on your face. A past student of our program dropped by to share some awesome news with us. He had taken first place in a Boilermaker's competition for the Western Region (13 western states). He is now qualified to make a trip to New York this fall for the national competition to compete against 8 other candidates from the other regions across the US. He proceeded to give us a bit of a rundown on the rigors that he was put through during the competition, 4 days, 10 hours a day, tested on countless skills involving welding, knowledge, safety, etc. This young man (in his 30's), was one of those really terrific students that you immediately knew would go someplace and through immense effort on his part, that of his family and friends, and likely a bit of guidance and assistance from our school, has come to know and appreciate the fruits of his labor. Today is one of those days that validates why I and so many others teach. I had to share. Have a great weekend everyone, mine has certainly started out on a very positive note. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 05-08-2011 02:36
Sounds like you taught him well.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-08-2011 03:23
Hello Ringo, I do believe that we offer a quality education at our school and it's certainly nice when we get students that are willing to go after everything that they can and take advantage of our experiences, skills, and knowledge as well as that of all of the others around them. This particular young man was very attentive, involved, and willing to put forth a great deal of effort, he also had excellent support from an awesome family and network of friends. Once he left our facility he went after his apprenticeship in the same manner and likely his instructors there and those journeymen who worked with him in the field would feel similar feelings of pride with his accomplishments. I can hardly wait for him to get back to New York and compete there, it is likely that he will learn immensely and likely share a lot with the others there. Of course, I will be rooting for his ultimate success once again. Thanks for the comments. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 05-08-2011 03:31
Well, that has to give you some self satisfaction,to know that you taught this young man.I'm sure he will remember you for some time to come.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-08-2011 04:10
Yes Ringo, and thank you. That's what was so great about him coming in to share the information with us. Many of our students stop by to let us know what they've been up to and how they're doing. They also generally give us a rundown on what sort of work they've been doing and how the job market is, they let us know about any job opportunities too. We try to have them speak to the current students whenever possible to reinforce some of the logic for justifying how and why we teach certain skills, along with their importance. Often times, more than not, you will hear the common phrase "now I understand why you guys had us do that", it goes hand-in-hand with our statements of how they will understand someday why particular things are really important to pay attention to.
     Often, the kudos with a teaching job come from the students that have left the program and generally not our administration. I also have received cards, letters, phone calls, emails, and other types of notes and messages from past students that have certainly given myself and my partner a really good "feel good" feeling. It is certainly nice to have had a part in someone else's successes, even if it's only a really small part. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 05-08-2011 04:25
I'd love to have your job man.Knowing that you have made a difference in someone's life.Rock on partner!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-08-2011 04:45
Ringo, don't know how much free time you have or whether there are any schools close to you at all, but folks such as yourself can be an invaluable resource for those facilities. Industry leaders and others who work in the "trenches" so to speak, are often likely to help immensely with learning for students in trade programs. If you are able to hook up with some of the instructors at schools(high school, trade, vocational, community college) in your area you might be surprised at how well you might be received to add comment and information to those programs. 
     Teachers, are well, "teachers", some of the time we aren't viewed as having relevancy to what's going on out in the current working world. That has been a portion of the driving force for me to work weekends, breaks, and other off-times in industry to keep current on many of my own skills as I continue to teach on a full-time basis.
     I believe that I noticed in your profile that you are a CWI along with possessing a host of other industry credentialed skills, being able to come in and talk with students and share your insight in many or all of those areas could be a tremendous boost for those future skilled craftspeople. I would also venture to guess that the instructors of those programs would be tremendously appreciative of your efforts as well. If you feel so inclined you might consider contacting some of those folks and see what happens, you could very likely share in the success of a future trades-person. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 05-09-2011 03:55
Congrates Allan that is great!  Hard to top the feeling of a being a part of someone's success.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-09-2011 21:59
Wonderful news you have to share with us, thank you!

You and other instructors at your school can take pride in making a difference in one man's life that will surely be paid forward to others he comes in contact with.

Congrats to both you & him!

Robert
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-10-2011 04:35
Hello qcrobert and Blaster, We are definitely very proud to be associated with him. He came to speak with our morning class today and relayed many different things to our current group of students, I hope they all listened very carefully to what he had to say. Even though he mainly spoke of the Boilermakers union, he stressed schooling in general and the association of theory to application to go along with everything else that he has learned by being out on the job, in a classroom, and working alongside various journeymen and others.
     He stated that after the competition in New York he will come back home and begin teaching apprentices at their hall's training facilities. So your mention of pay-it-forward certainly applies here. Additionally, when he has the necessary time in he will begin working on his CWI credentials. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he will be a recipient of that honor in short order as well. His mention of teaching and working towards his CWI certainly shows his determination and willingness to expand his personal horizons and exhibits his understanding of broadening his skill sets to position himself for a very lucrative future. Again, thanks for taking note gentlemen. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Boilermaker's Competition