Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cutting Steel 16ga...
- - By wfs4998 (*) Date 11-01-2002 16:01
Hi,
This is more of a fabrication question, but I figure most welders have to do fab work in the fit-up stage...

I want to make a few tool stands for my belt sander, bench grinder, and metal chop saw. I know you can buy these inexpensively, but I want the experience of making them myself. I figure I can do the bends with a metal brake bender. My question is about what options are out there to cut sheet metal.

I do not plan on buying a stationary shear because of the cost. I would guess you could cut it with 1) Air Nibbler 2) Air Power shears 3) cutting torch 4) jig saw with bi-metal blade 5) Hack Saw 6) abrasive blade in circular saw 7) sawz all with bi metal blade.

What do you guys think? Which type cutter is easy to use? What has your experience been with cutting sheet metal? Any ideas would be helpful to me since I am in the brainstorming stage. Thanks!

Also, is 16ga overkill for a tool stand? Could I go with a lighter guage?
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 11-01-2002 16:54
Know someone with a plasma cutter? They are the bestest thangs ever since sliced bread.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-01-2002 18:56
I like the plasma cutter idea that KAM suggested. It does not input alot of heat therefore distortion is non-existent.
John Wright
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-01-2002 18:16
Check out a Milwaukee Hand Held 16 gauge shear #6805
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 11-01-2002 20:45
I am extremely happy with my "Evolution" circular metal cutting saw. For about $500.00 you can cut 1/2" steel just like plywood. On the 9" model I have you can even cut bevels for weld prep. I use it in the field quite often now instead of plasma or flame cutting.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 11-02-2002 02:00
I've seen one of those saws in action on a piece of 3/8"x3" steel...if you weren't watching what was going on, you'd think somebody was just cutting a 2x4 w/ a regular circular saw 'cause it was such a fast cut. i'm not talking about w/ an abrasive blade either...it had a special blade w/ teeth.
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 11-02-2002 04:53
Plasma cutter, you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
Parent - - By bhiltz (**) Date 11-02-2002 22:04
mini-grinder with a zip cut
Parent - - By wfs4998 (*) Date 11-06-2002 15:21
These are all good suggestions. I may someday buy a plasma cutter. But that is out of my price range for now. The metal cutting circular saw sounds good too, but pricey for now. Has anyone used an air nibbler or air power shear to cut sheet metal? If so, what has your experience been? Good? Bad?
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 11-06-2002 22:32
Dodging your question a bit, the torch will be the most versitile even if some little joint prep (cleanup or grinding) is required. If you plan on working metal it's a no-brainer; get one- you'll eventually need it, and where you dont need it you'll be able to use it to an advantage.
It will cut thin # surprisingly clean if the nozzle is matched to the work and gasses properly adjusted. With the proper technique there should be no distortion.

It will also bend, shrink, preheat, thaw, color, clean, braze, and permit you to forge on a limited scale... you'll also cut thicker stuff than any shear you'll likely want to buy. I'm sure I left some stuff out. Basically, oxyacetylene is all there was during much of the heavy industrialization of the world, and in the right hands can be an impressively versitile tool. Oh yah, it even welds!

I have used power nibblers; they're easy enough but do leave some sharp burrs and minor bending around curves to deal with. Nothing major to complain about, but not perfect either.

Regards
d
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 11-07-2002 01:52
dee, excellent answer. Sometimes I forget my humble beginning. A borrowed torch, an old gas drive, a hand me down 9" Milwaukee and an old Chevy pickup is all I started my business with. The first expensive (at the time) tool I bought to compliment my old Smith was a Victor Motorized hand torch for cutting circles and long straight cuts. Man that was a long time ago! I think dee is correct, buy the torch and learn how to use it. I get immense joy out of going out into my shop or onto the job site and showing my men how to cut properly with a torch. It can be considered an art form by some. I also would suggest if you go with the torch, try a Smith or a Victor.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2002 12:05
Ah, the ol' blue tipped wrench
Parent - - By wfs4998 (*) Date 11-07-2002 20:00
What is a "Victor Motorized hand torch for cutting circles and long straight cuts." ? And what kinda money for something like that? Oh yeah, BTW, what is the difference between brazing and welding with a torch?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2002 20:24
I haven't used the Victor model. We have the Bug-go brand in our shop. The magnetic track comes in sections like a model railroad. You can angle the torch head for beveling plates for full pen welds, make long continuous cuts straight. And I think they make the circle model as well, but we have a manual magnetic compass to mount the torch head in to do different radius circles and arcs (homemade). You can come up with something I'm sure with out spending a great deal of $$'s. We did, with some extra Bug-go parts we had in the maint. shop.
I'm sure others have some great ideas, keep on reading these boards.
John Wright
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 11-07-2002 21:09
The way I understand it- In welding you melt ALL metals involved in the joint. Brazing does NOT melt the base metal , but bonds it with another metal (which IS completely melted during the process). Soldering is basically the same as brazing except much higher tempertures(and of course different alloys), are involved with brazing. When it's done correctly the joint can be incredibly strong with brazing or soldering. The joint construction needs the correct tolerances though. In brazing if strength is needed tolerance usually needs to be quite close. Once joint gaps get too large the alloy won't flow into the joint well. ( capillary action is hindered). Even if it does fill a wide gap your joint will only be as strong as the alloy material itself.( usually consideralby weaker than the original material.) Brazing also has the disadvantage of much less heat resistance than a weld. You also need to heat a larger area than in welding to make the molten braze alloy flow properly.
Parent - - By sswelder Date 11-08-2002 01:03
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE TORCH SUGGESTION YOU MADE. THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS LEARNING TO USE IT CORRECTLY ON LIGHT GUAGE METAL. THATS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN LEARN OUT OF A MANUAL IF YOU ARENT ALREADY PRETTY HANDY WITH A TORCH.
Parent - By wfs4998 (*) Date 11-08-2002 15:39
I appreciate everyone's input -- Thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cutting Steel 16ga...