Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My latest achievement
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-11-2011 10:47 Edited 05-11-2011 10:51
Few things stick in your mind. First regulator station tested to 1300psi, first saddle tap and now first big lift of something I welded. Engineer came out and did the math. 3/4 plate lifting eyes with 1/4 fillets all the way around times two and a 16,000lb machine hanging off of it!  Just to cool!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-13-2011 11:59
I'm just amazed that the thing hung straight and balanced....

I would never be so lucky as to have the correct lifting points on the track frame to find the CG....LOL...be my luck it would get partially in the hole and flip right over on it's nose.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-13-2011 19:45
Congrats to ya on a job well done!
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 05-12-2011 21:51
You stand behind your work 100%, you just wouldn't stand under it right? Haha just kidding Shawn, good job! How's that bed build coming along?

Caleb
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-13-2011 00:20 Edited 05-13-2011 00:22
TWO LIFTING EYES????  whaddya scared of your lo-hy welds??  3/4??  BAH!!!! for that little dirt scraper???    LOL!!!    There ya go bud, I always liked being amazed at seeing what I have done abused/or tested.   No scratched paint or bent boom I reckon so you did it RIGHT!  I imagine your welds far exceeded the yield of the parent metal of that beam anyway.   IT is just amazing to me what that lowly rod can do in the right hands.  You are a weldor!

Not too sure of the rigging on that one,  looks like just a big hook on the track frame???  A clevis or chocking around it would have been my choice.

Take care bud
Tommy
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 05-13-2011 00:55
You filled the fuel tank with Helium, I just know it!    :lol:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-13-2011 01:12
lmao    that was a good one!!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-13-2011 13:01
I thought about what we talked about the other day and when you start thinking about the tensile strength of the weld, weight of the machine it kinda takes some of the wow factor out of it!! Hahaha!!

Yeah, they have hooks, locking hooks that have a button you push to open it. Did not really look at the rigging much until they had it up in the air and saw the shackles and how they were in the beam. Have to head back out to that one a bit later to finish it off but this crew is great. When you think your all done with the job something else pops up and your back out there! Told my friend if it keeps on like this I might retire off this job!! :lol::lol::lol:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-13-2011 12:54
I learned many moons ago as a mechanic, never stand under a load that could drop unless it is supported. Had a field service tech working on a 988 cat loader and he did not support the loader frame and went under it to work. Loader frame came down on him, it was one of those scoop the guy up with a shovel things. Truck bed, well, if you look at the pictures I posted a month or two ago, that's what you'd see out there now! LoL!! Since the pics were taken I've managed to cut off 6 pieces of metal!! As a buddy has said, "darn work just keeps getting in the way".
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 05-13-2011 17:02
Everytime, I work on some thing that can and will crush me, I crib it up. I have seen near misses, and what falling object can do, you can never be to safe.
- - By Sberry (***) Date 05-27-2011 15:18
I like the jobs you are getting,,, not too big, not to small.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2011 15:45
They have sure kept me busy! Couple weeks or days here and a couple there. Guess there are things I prefer to do and then other things I do, still enjoy it all though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My latest achievement